Vermetid or Sweepers on Frogspawn?

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frogspawn seems to send out a single “spider silk” each night from just under the head. Now I’m wondering if it’s actually a tiny vermetid burrowed in there? Whatever it is seems to be enjoying the pod outbreak. I’m perplexed. Thoughts?

IMG_4805.jpeg IMG_4806.jpeg IMG_4807.jpeg

OP
OP
KaiPono

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance this could be spawning? I checked all over the frag, and no vermitid that I can see unless it’s buried inside the polyps. There’s thousands upon thousands of what I assumed were pods…but now wondering if it’s coral larvae?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance this could be spawning? I checked all over the frag, and no vermitid that I can see unless it’s buried inside the polyps. There’s thousands upon thousands of what I assumed were pods…but now wondering if it’s coral larvae?

It's not anything from the frogspawn. It's possible that it's a digitate hydroid

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely pods on the glass, not coral larvae

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is it all coming from that pink blob on base ?
if so take out of tank ,remove in container of tank water

OP
OP
KaiPono

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it all coming from that pink blob on base ?
if so take out of tank ,remove in container of tank water
The webs seem to be coming from where the polyps meet the skeletal base. No long webs tonight, but now thousands of “pods” are swarming around this same area with some minor webbing all around they seem to crawl along.

I assumed the pink area at the base was coralline left over from the parent colony pre-fragging?

Adding a second video showing the pods attacking this poor snail.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The webs seem to be coming from where the polyps meet the skeletal base. No long webs tonight, but now thousands of “pods” are swarming around this same area with some minor webbing all around they seem to crawl along.

I assumed the pink area at the base was coralline left over from the parent colony pre-fragging?

Yeah, that's not normal.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely pods on the glass, not coral larvae

Yeah, that's not normal.
Yea.. doesn't look like any pod activity I've ever observed... looks like some kind of predator bug eating it. Look at the receding flesh. I'm no expert, haven't medicated or dipped anything nor had bug problems. But this looks like a prime candidate for immediate removal from tank and dipped in something

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are the best pictures and video I have ever seen on a thread in here. Epic!

It looks like this is a new tank maybe? With all the pods swarming there it looks like they're cleaning up some tissue left behind by the coral and to me signifies it may be struggling a bit with the transition.

OP
OP
KaiPono

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in that tank? Pics..
It’s just a 20g AIO that’s ~5 months old, so not much else. Clown pair, goby/pistol pair, fire shrimp, GSP, and a sizable CUC. I have a big GHA growth that I’m dealing with and then this outbreak.

Attachments

• IMG_4803.jpeg
    IMG_4803.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4543.jpeg
    IMG_4543.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 27

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My frogspawn seems to send out a single “spider silk” each night from just under the head. Now I’m wondering if it’s actually a tiny vermetid burrowed in there? Whatever it is seems to be enjoying the pod outbreak. I’m perplexed. Thoughts?

IMG_4805.jpeg IMG_4806.jpeg IMG_4807.jpeg
Its the mucus webbing from a vermetid snail

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back