OP
KaiPono

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding the tank at all? Pods may be starving... and attacking coral and snails
Feed a mix of Reef Frenzy Nano and various pellets on alternating days, usually morning & night, so probably over feeding if anything. Was advised to keep nitrate & phosphates up for GSP - then GHA took over. Was also dosing phyto but thought the pods were gone as the clowns stopped kicking them up from the sand bed for snacks. Apparently they’re very much NOT gone! Haha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
But he can't find a vermited tube anywhere
You may not see it, but I see these daily after feeding frozen food from my vermetid. Other webbing you see could be spinoid worm

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just a 20g AIO that’s ~5 months old, so not much else. Clown pair, goby/pistol pair, fire shrimp, GSP, and a sizable CUC. I have a big GHA growth that I’m dealing with and then this outbreak.

I like the rock work getting started with the space you have, could really be interesting to grow out.

With the picture you provided it looks like you're either still going through the "ugly phase" of your tank or it's just now happening since you mentioned the GHA. I don't mean the tank is ugly, it's just that early on the algae doesn't have any competition and it grows and makes things not as pretty as they can be.

So it's likely that coral is a bit stressed in the environment it is in as the tank in this stage will have dynamic parameters. The web you see is likely being extruxed from the coral as it acclimates. So your goal now is to keep the tank parameters aligned and stable.

OP
OP
KaiPono

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the rock work getting started with the space you have, could really be interesting to grow out.

With the picture you provided it looks like you're either still going through the "ugly phase" of your tank or it's just now happening since you mentioned the GHA. I don't mean the tank is ugly, it's just that early on the algae doesn't have any competition and it grows and makes things not as pretty as they can be.

So it's likely that coral is a bit stressed in the environment it is in as the tank in this stage will have dynamic parameters. The web you see is likely being extruxed from the coral as it acclimates. So your goal now is to keep the tank parameters aligned and stable.
I appreciate that. My goal was to create some nice shelves for the euphyllia and a few islands for zoa/GSP/mushrooms with enough flow & protection for the fish. Still hoping that works out.

Thought my uglies passed with the first round of diatoms 2 months in. Alas my patience was tempted into corals. Lost my torch to an alk swing, so I’m really hoping this guy hangs on. Guess I’ll stick to healthy water changes and wait/work out the GHA. What should be competing with the algae? Suggestions on how to get things more stable?

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that. My goal was to create some nice shelves for the euphyllia and a few islands for zoa/GSP/mushrooms with enough flow & protection for the fish. Still hoping that works out.

Thought my uglies passed with the first round of diatoms 2 months in. Alas my patience was tempted into corals. Lost my torch to an alk swing, so I’m really hoping this guy hangs on. Guess I’ll stick to healthy water changes and wait/work out the GHA. What should be competing with the algae? Suggestions on how to get things more stable?
Okay so the alk swings are a thing but the reason is the ionic balance of the tank. The alk is going to swing as the ionic balance continues to change due to the changes in the biologic activity.

The good news is a frogspawn is pretty hardy. That was actually my first coral! So hopefully this one can pull through.

With a new tank the first thing I usually do is seed it with some coralline algae. You can get it from multiple suppliers in a bottle and just treat as suggested. They are in spore form and will grow when the time is right. What's great about this is when the water gets in the zone you'll see small specks of purple all over the rocks and that's your sign things are trending in the right direciton. Two things are happening in this time:

1. The Coralline is growing on the rocks and out-competing the other non desireables that would otherwise grow.

2. Other beneficial bacteria is able to colonize which will compete with the algae and ****** its growth.

Both of these things tend to happen around the same time as the parameters quit swinging so wildly. You have rightly pointed out Alk as the main focus here. Just try not to make constant changes to address the swings (easier said than done). My suggestion here is to keep it below 10 and above 7. Then let the titans battle it out from there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back