OP
OP
R

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no need to acid wash it, may not have much left if you do, best to do what Lost said, wash/rinse and let dry for a few days, in the sun if possible

and sorry, never really answered your first question…how long to soak, I would say no more than 24 hours, maybe soak for few hours and the pull out a few pieces and check over them…this also depends on the acid concentration you use…
As for how to clean after the acid…neutralize the acid bath was baking soda before you remove the rocks, rinse with tap water real good, let dry, rinse again…put in bucket with RODi water and soak for a day, dump water and do it again.
Thanks for the edit, i was just coming back to re-up on the washing method and i saw your reply

OP
OP
R

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to have coral? Vermetids are a pita but I would not go to the extreme measures it takes to 100% eliminate them.

It takes 1 or 2 years for dead rock to become fully mature live rock. I know poeple will say they started adding sps after as few as 6 montbs, but ime 6mo old live rock is barely acceptable while 2+ yr old live rock is far more reliable and stable for growing coral. You are setting yourself back at least 6 mos, more likely a year or more doing this.

Most reef tanks have vermetids, and most people just control them one way or another.
Ive got time. The only coral i have in the tank are some rta, kenya tree, toadstool gorgonia. Im willing to sacrafice bacteria for total elimination for the snails. if im gonna put the time into it, its gonna be 100%. Not to mention my fluval evo needs time to grow out before i start fraging corals for the 65

OP
OP
R

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no need to acid wash it, may not have much left if you do, best to do what Lost said, wash/rinse and let dry for a few days, in the sun if possible

and sorry, never really answered your first question…how long to soak, I would say no more than 24 hours, maybe soak for few hours and the pull out a few pieces and check over them…this also depends on the acid concentration you use…
As for how to clean after the acid…neutralize the acid bath was baking soda before you remove the rocks, rinse with tap water real good, let dry, rinse again…put in bucket with RODi water and soak for a day, dump water and do it again.
Also is muriatic acid good to use? It seems more available that hydorchloric acid, but i read that they have slightly different chemical makeups

DRhodes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pulled my rocks, one at a time, and smashed all the snails I could find, at the base. I have 20+ Bumblebee snails, 2 Emerald crabs and a 6 line wrasse. My vermetids are exploding. I see no realistic way to get rid of them.

OP
OP
R

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pulled my rocks, one at a time, and smashed all the snails I could find, at the base. I have 20+ Bumblebee snails, 2 Emerald crabs and a 6 line wrasse. My vermetids are exploding. I see no realistic way to get rid of them.
Ill keep you posted on my results once i find the time to break down and acid wash, scrape, replace everything

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Procedures and methods for adding things to your display reduce the risk.
QT and isolation from main display to be better.
Attack the problem upon first sight ala nuclear force. Left to get another day means they have another day to take hold.
I see bumblebee referenced a lot also know it is a predatory snail.
Mother nature will find a way. Hobbyist has to stay on top of it.

Have a good day.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to have coral? Vermetids are a pita but I would not go to the extreme measures it takes to 100% eliminate them.

It takes 1 or 2 years for dead rock to become fully mature live rock. I know poeple will say they started adding sps after as few as 6 montbs, but ime 6mo old live rock is barely acceptable while 2+ yr old live rock is far more reliable and stable for growing coral. You are setting yourself back at least 6 mos, more likely a year or more doing this.

Most reef tanks have vermetids, and most people just control them one way or another.
I’ve never even worried about them.
First time Ive seen people upset about them is here.

OP
OP
R

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never even worried about them.
First time Ive seen people upset about them is here.
This is why, i havent had time to take care of the problem and they are everywhere

Attachments

• 20220821_212934.jpg
    20220821_212934.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 85

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee snails and coral snow. Definitely knocked down the numbers. I just cleaned out the overflow and all plumbing. There were a lot of dead tubes, now clean. Bumblebee are still going after the few left on rock.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive got a 65 gal tank that i broke down and rebooted 2 months ago. And it seems like this new environment is perfect for vermetid snails, and they are booming. So im gonna break down the tank again and eliminate them for good!!! With some hydrochloric acid. Ill be going through the whole tank, and sump, even cutting out the over flow box to throughly clean that. My questions are 1) How long should i soak the rock for? and more importantly how to clean the acid from the rock! 2) Sand? Ive got a lot of it, am i going to need to do anything with the sand or can i just toss it in a brute can for a couple days? It is my largest source of biologic. 3) Is it possible for vermetid snails to live in high flow areas such as inside your plumbing? If so, ill be replacing those also. 4) Any other steps that im missing for elimination? Let me know, thanks

They can live anywhere. Inside return pumps, overflow box, wavemaker’s, skimmer, loc-line, and plumbing. Anywhere!

Photo credit: Josh Kraft
F897C69E-5069-4894-AF13-86B9575E68B3.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reeferpat137 I would not break the tank down. 99.9% of reefers have them. They are almost impossible to keep out. @Spare time might be the 0.1% exception, but we will need to see his pictures to confirm. We need closeup pics and video in order to crown him as King of No Vermetid snails. If it’s true…he’ll be the first one I know of. :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reeferpat137 I would not break the tank down. 99.9% of reefers have them. They are almost impossible to keep out. @Spare time might be the 0.1% exception, but we will need to see his pictures to confirm. We need closeup pics and video in order to crown him as King of No Vermetid snails. If it’s true…he’ll be the first one I know of. :)

Lol I can if you want. What kind of pics do you need?

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee snails and coral snow. Definitely knocked down the numbers. I just cleaned out the overflow and all plumbing. There were a lot of dead tubes, now clean. Bumblebee are still going after the few left on rock.
The first of have heard of coral snow - what does it do? brand?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps with water clarity, removes nutrients. On the vertamid snails it smothers their tubes. There’s an article here that describes how it works. I have a small tank and use KZ coral snow since I already had it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back