vermetid snail Id ?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this candy cane with at least 15 heads for an incredibly cheap price of £40 around 4 - 6 weeks ago I’m starting to think there was a reason why the price was so cheap

55D3F52F-2367-4C2B-8C9E-2A89475FDEB2.jpeg

are these vermetid snail ? C4D0E1AA-A2AC-479A-9BFA-56E29D350C2F.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are vermatids. Crush them or superglue over them asap if you don't want more.

Ps I have an unusually strong hatred for vermatids haha

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm considering removing the coral tbh :/ shame as it’s a nice piece

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm considering removing the coral tbh :/ shame as it’s a nice piece

You can keep it just put small amount of superglue over them. I actually started a coral qt just for these, flatworms, and aiptasia since again I spite vermatids. If vermatids were people I would be in prison.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol the amount of heads for £40 I should have known there would be a catch

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming bubble bees are a no go with my astreas ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol the amount of heads for £40 I should have known there would be a catch

If it was from a store they likely have a lot of them. Once they get into a store system they are nearly impossible to get out due to all of the plumbing and areas that you can't remove them from and the size of the tanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming bubble bees are a no go with my astreas ?

Bumble bees are fine. They live for a very long time which is neat. I have had some for years.

But in reality the best thing is to stop them when they first arrive. They really enjoy particulate food so if you feed something powdery like reef roids you will see their mucus webs. That is how I know a tank has them or not.

But still there are lots of people who have them and really just learn to ignore them. I feed my corals and tank heavily so they annoyed me when I had them. I got them from live rock when I first started and I fed way too much reef roids so they did very well in that tank

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumble bees are fine. They live for a very long time which is neat. I have had some for years.

But in reality the best thing is to stop them when they first arrive. They really enjoy particulate food so if you feed something powdery like reef roids you will see their mucus webs. That is how I know a tank has them or not.

But still there are lots of people who have them and really just learn to ignore them. I feed my corals and tank heavily so they annoyed me when I had them. I got them from live rock when I first started and I fed way too much reef roids so they did very well in that tank
Yes I feed reef roids fairly heavy because of my gonipora the candy cane is the only coral with the issue of the tubes and mucus webs. I’ve got glue and am ready to go to town on them shortly will my candy cane be good out the water for 20 mins or so to give me a chance to get all the buggers and allow the glue to set ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I feed reef roofs fairly heavy because of my gonipora the candy cane is the only coral with the issue of the tubes and mucus webs. I’ve got glue and ready to go to town on them shortly will my candy cane be good out the water for 20 mins or so to give me a chance to get all the buggers and allow the glue to set ?

As long as the super glue is gel then I would just glue it and put the coral in a little cup of water for maybe 30 seconds. The glue hardens super fast when water hits it

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the super glue is gel then I would just glue it and put the coral in a little cup of water for maybe 30 seconds. The glue hardens super fast when water hits it
I had my monti plating coral out of the water for a good 15 mins when glueing over a large aiptasia so hoping all will go well the glue sorted the aiptasia so should work fine just hoping I can get them all as some are in hard to reach places very close to the flesh of the coral

autocorrect on my phone is annoying me lol

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve glued over all the pest snails that I can I’ve probably missed a few as I ran out of glue towards the end and some are very difficult to get to without glue the flesh of the coral I’ll give the coral some time recover from the procedure and do a follow up glue session to ensure everything is covered

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back