Vermetid Snail Predator?

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to pick up some bumblebee’s for general house keeping. I never over fed the tank, but once they were in the water column they remained established. The got into the overflows and i had no idea how bad it was. 6 months it started getting out of control and at a year I was overwhelmed. I acid washed and then bleach soaked every piece of rock and im still working on the sand. Didn’t realize i had about 400 lbs of rock between the refugium and DT. As I mentioned earlier, I will QT everything as if its a fish for 90 day’s

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you crush the base, you have to make sure to smash it and hope there’s no eggs floating around. No easy way to manually remove them

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Destroy as many as possible by crushing the base and yes, BB's do work. I added 30 to my 120 and a few months later, all gone. It will be a slow process.
I guess I need about dozen or 2 more as well! Perhaps a there is a right percentage to get. I only have a dozen and half in 125. Can never hurt I guess to get more! Preset little creatures too!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate vermetids!

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had these in my last tank but they werent completely overrunning everything. Probably would of if I didnt run a massive protein skimmer. That tank died to dinos though so I guess you pick your poison.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vermitids are confined to hard to reach places... seems my short spine urchin inadvertently munches their little tubes in any accessible spots.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sure do suck.

I'm going vermetid hunting in the next couple days.I plan to take out the larger ones I can reach. I've tried coral snow in the past but was told I should feed before I dose the coral snow, which I wasn't doing before. The goal is to get them feeding, dose the snow and they are forced to pull that in along with the food. It's supposed to bind them up and starve them out over time. It needs to be done nightly/daily for an extended period of time.

Has anyone had success with this method?

I've added bumblebees but probably not enough. I just feel like they chased my normal snail cuc off the rocks.

ghostwheel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, some battle I win. First some information - some food contain shrimps so when you dose some, some fish will eat shrimps simple. So i take off some Vermetus about 20 - mix all in blender. frozen with liquid food from AF, and feed them about 3 per week, and now some fish various in different times eat them from rock. mayby this way will be good.

natashakay.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee snails are your best bet. It will take some time to notice a change in the population and they also don’t eat the tube part just the snail inside so you will still see that in your tank but it won’t have the snail in it anymore.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back