Vermetid Snail Predator?

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need help getting rid of vermetid snails. I have a bunch of them in my tank. Covering their hole is not an option. I have read that yellow coris wrasse and copper banded butterflies eat them. What else is there that could keep them at bay? Is there any invertebrates?
Thank you

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing will eat them. I've seen several of my fish even eat bristle worms but for some reason they don't touch vermatid. Even when I crush them birthing is interested.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the hardest things to keep out of your system, no matter how hard you try. Especially if you like hammers or frogspawn. CopperBands don't touch them in my tank.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the tiny little vermetids, what type do you have Jaag?
20170105_075907.jpeg

I also have flatworms the non harmful kind that I will be getting rid of today. You can see them on the sand bed. I went fallow for 3 months and the worms just spread like wild fire. Any suggestions?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the same type I have and they are a PAIN! Those flatworms look like Convolutriloba species on my iPad. I would suck out as many as I could. I suspect your pod population has been keeping them happy.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They eat pods? I thought they eat algae. But now that u say that I feel like my pod pop is smaller.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat pods and utilize your light for energy as well. That's what makes them so difficult to get rid of. The clear guys don't use your light and are limited by pods. If your tank has been fallow, your pod population has had no fish predators.... but another predator moved into town to take advantage of the situation.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True. Well hopefully after I get rid of them today the pods start to come back.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would maybe try to suck some out first. That's the variety that has the toxins in them and it looks like you have a few. Where you don't have fish in there, it won't be as big of a deal either way.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the vermetid Snail, my tank has literally been taken over by them. I am absolutely convinced that by smashing them it causing them to spread more because thats how it seemed for me. I started off with a few, crushed them, and then the following week had double. I absolutely hate these guys.. They are literally growing on everything from rock, to the glass, powerheads, frag racks, on all my zoa plugs, and even my darn snail and hermit crab shells. What is the big deal with these vermetid snails anyway? Do they do any harm to anything? I have so many in my tank that when i finish my next tank build I will probably not transfer ANY coral or anything else over to that tank in fear i might introduce them.

I would suspect that there is absolutely no known natural predator for these guys because they have a crazy hard shell.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would maybe try to suck some out first. That's the variety that has the toxins in them and it looks like you have a few. Where you don't have fish in there, it won't be as big of a deal either way.
Will the toxins be harmful to my corals?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back