vermetid snails and seeding rock

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting another tank up and looking to seed some dry rock using my old tank that is still running with fish and corals . The problem is my old tank has vermetid snails on the rocks. How can I seed the new rocks in the old tank without the snails spreading onto my new rock?

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t move; easy as heck to control. Buy a bunch of bumblebee snails and don’t worry about them. I set up my tank with rock that was in a sump for 7 years. Had every pest you can think of. All gone now and I was able to add coral in 2 weeks.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t move; easy as heck to control. Buy a bunch of bumblebee snails and don’t worry about them. I set up my tank with rock that was in a sump for 7 years. Had every pest you can think of. All gone now and I was able to add coral in 2 weeks.
Thanks il try some and see if it works

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am setting another tank up and looking to seed some dry rock using my old tank that is still running with fish and corals . The problem is my old tank has vermetid snails on the rocks. How can I seed the new rocks in the old tank without the snails spreading onto my new rock?
Agree on bumbleBee snails. If no luck, carefully apply a dab of gel superglue to each tube opening and they are *** out of luck- they'll starve off

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue will kill but not eradicate especially if you have the small ones. They can be in the rocks without even having visible tubes yet. I've also found them burrowing back out of the tube after a gluing and I have heard the same from others. Maybe it's just another snail moving into that tube? No idea. If you want to try, make sure you check for more than just little sticks. The shell starts as a spiral at the base and sometimes wraps around rocks before sticking out.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue will kill but not eradicate especially if you have the small ones. They can be in the rocks without even having visible tubes yet. I've also found them burrowing back out of the tube after a gluing and I have heard the same from others. Maybe it's just another snail moving into that tube? No idea. If you want to try, make sure you check for more than just little sticks. The shell starts as a spiral at the base and sometimes wraps around rocks before sticking out.
Thanks

AlienGhost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glueing works for the most part, but doesnt always look the best, and like someone mentioned, they can pop up around the glue. Bumblebee snails seem to help control new snails (maybe) but I've never seen one eat an established verm.

I have a frag tank with no rock but I find them in my filter sometimes, so, eggs are going to am issue as well.

Bury the rock outside. Never speak of it again.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glueing works for the most part, but doesnt always look the best, and like someone mentioned, they can pop up around the glue. Bumblebee snails seem to help control new snails (maybe) but I've never seen one eat an established verm.

I have a frag tank with no rock but I find them in my filter sometimes, so, eggs are going to am issue as well.

Bury the rock outside. Never speak of it again.
As far as biological controls I've heard some wrasses will eat them. Specifically sixlines and pink-streaked wrasse. I had a sixline for a few years and can't say I noticed vermetids until he was out of the tank. That's all a foggy memory though and all biological pest controls are 50/50. Worth a shot I guess.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps house the rocks in a Brute can and not feed anything to it, maybe you can starve them. Just don't know how long it would take to starve them out.
This is the situation I'm in - I tore my DT down and am a couple months away from the new tank arriving. The old rock is in a brute tank; no light - just flow & heat. I assume they'll eventually have to die, right?

I'll intermittently pull the rocks out and smash whatever I see. Still a bit nervous about it though... maybe I should start over... I dunno

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back