Vermetid Snails in FOWLR

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know what they were until someone told me. I just thought they were part of the LR. I have a FOWLR with what seems to be an infestation of vermetid snails. I know they can cause havoc in a reef tank, but how bad are they in a FOWLR?
Thanks

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine with fish only, but if they are making the tank look ugly, break em off if you like.

Also, be careful they can be sharp and a massive pain if you get one under your nail, but usually as long as you are generally careful with what you touch they won't be a problem

OP
OP
V

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine with fish only, but if they are making the tank look ugly, break em off if you like.

Also, be careful they can be sharp and a massive pain if you get one under your nail, but usually as long as you are generally careful with what you touch they won't be a

Also, be careful they can be sharp and a massive pain if you get one under your nail, but usually as long as you are generally careful with what you touch they won't be a problem
That's great news. Thanks for the response!

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
kill what you can before they get out of control. They will clog up overflows, drain lines.
Good thing about being FOWLR is that you could drop the salinity down to kill them off.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know what they were until someone told me. I just thought they were part of the LR. I have a FOWLR with what seems to be an infestation of vermetid snails. I know they can cause havoc in a reef tank, but how bad are they in a FOWLR?
Thanks
I have never seen a plague of snails inside a tank with a Harlequin tusk on patrol. The tusk would wreak havoc upon their tiny shelled bodies.
bird flying GIF

Hopefully you have enough habitat for one?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kill what you can before they get out of control. They will clog up overflows, drain lines.
Good thing about being FOWLR is that you could drop the salinity down to kill them off.
Thisnis actually a good point, I have no predator but a bunch of cirals and other filter feeders to compete that cause they populations to collapse after a swarm of them. I had hundrreds of them pop up out of no where but they died off and I see maybe 1 or 2 at a time now. But since you won't be feeding coral food maybe they won't explode in your tank anyway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back