Vermetid snail outbreak!

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I verr recently realized I'm having an outbreak of vermetid snails, but I do not know where they came from. My FOWLR is 15 years old and I have never added any LR since. I only buy fish, no corals, nothing but fish. It wasn't until recently I started noticing them, only because it was pointed out in a previous post of mine. Before that I ignorantly thought they were non living "stuff" that just started appearingon the LR. Any ideas where they may have come from? Again, tank is 15 years old and didn't have this issue until recently. Thanks for any info.
20231027_200720.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that with my tank I took over from someone. I ended up tossing all the rock after trying bumble bee snails, wrasse and even chipping them off. Getting rid of the rock and getting new rock solved the solution for me

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a FOWLR than they aren't really harming anything, though covering up the opening with coral glue could work, also found this RB article discussing possible eradication methods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I verr recently realized I'm having an outbreak of vermetid snails, but I do not know where they came from. My FOWLR is 15 years old and I have never added any LR since. I only buy fish, no corals, nothing but fish. It wasn't until recently I started noticing them, only because it was pointed out in a previous post of mine. Before that I ignorantly thought they were non living "stuff" that just started appearingon the LR. Any ideas where they may have come from? Again, tank is 15 years old and didn't have this issue until recently. Thanks for any info.
20231027_200720.jpg
That's definitely an outbreak!

Hard to say how they got in the tank but I'd guess maybe on a snail or even possibly in some water from the bag the fish were in... Regardless, they're there now!

OP
OP
V

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a FOWLR than they aren't really harming anything, though covering up the opening with coral glue could work, also found this RB article discussing possible eradication methods

That's definitely an outbreak!

Hard to say how they got in the tank but I'd guess maybe on a snail or even possibly in some water from the bag the fish were in... Regardless, they're there now!
Yeah, I did get some turbo snails for algae control about 6 months ago. Makes sense if that's where they came from.

lisajulia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231027_200720.jpg
This is exactly what happened to me with a similar scenario. My rock is about 18 years old. I have no idea where they came from. But I am finding a colonial hydras to be way worse. I have found that bumblebees help a little bit but I think I need to get more. Absolute worst part of the hobby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back