Vermetid Snails - Infestation

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get a bit deflated and discouraged - my first reef tank coming up to almost 2 years is infested with vermetid snails - being new to the hobby to start I wasn't inspecting corals when I purchased them, and I believe that's where these things came from. Now I'm way more diligent and inspect under good light and magnification.

The rock is covered with them - whenever I scraped them out with a tweezers, they come back and seems even more. I purchased 12 bumblebee snails hoping it'll help.

I don't really feed the corals that much - 1x every 2 weeks, but that's not really keeping the snails away.

I am tempted to take out all the corals, remove the rocks and put new rocks in.

Hoping someone has some good news here for me because right now when I look at the tank and see these tubular things sticking out from the rock, it's discouraging.

Thanks

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get a bit deflated and discouraged - my first reef tank coming up to almost 2 years is infested with vermetid snails - being new to the hobby to start I wasn't inspecting corals when I purchased them, and I believe that's where these things came from. Now I'm way more diligent and inspect under good light and magnification.

The rock is covered with them - whenever I scraped them out with a tweezers, they come back and seems even more. I purchased 12 bumblebee snails hoping it'll help.

I don't really feed the corals that much - 1x every 2 weeks, but that's not really keeping the snails away.

I am tempted to take out all the corals, remove the rocks and put new rocks in.

Hoping someone has some good news here for me because right now when I look at the tank and see these tubular things sticking out from the rock, it's discouraging.

Thanks
You could always try the DIY route with coral snow by Sunny X.
Between the coral Snow the Bumblebees you might make a little bit of a dent.
Changing your entire Rock out is futile. You'd have to recycle all over again only to maybe end up with the same problem later on.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always try the DIY route with coral snow by Sunny X.
Between the coral Snow the Bumblebees you might make a little bit of a dent.
Changing your entire Rock out is futile. You'd have to recycle all over again only to maybe end up with the same problem later on.
I googled Coral Snow - so this is a self made recipe, or can I purchase from somewhere?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently battling this also. I snip them off the corals and rocks whatever is within my reach and actively snip them when I see it. I have about 15 bumblebee snails, they do work but you'll have to help snip the vermetid down to the base as much as you can for the bumblebee to get to it.

Back