Vermetid snails, my new uninvited visitors.

Sharkbait HooHaHa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2F485D59-2367-43BA-AF2B-369330FE6575.jpeg
82274DF8-008F-4E50-BF67-D6FA06FF15F2.jpeg
so these guys started showing up in my tank a while back. I thought they were kind of cool until I read the snail article and found out that they are vermetid snails. This probably explains why my Duncan has been less than pleased for the last week or so. The two in the bottom pic are pretty close to the Duncan.

So, the questions:
Are super glue, crushing, or acid dip really the only ways to get rid of these guys? I read one post saying that certain coris or melanarus wrasses would eat them. Has anyone had luck with that? I wouldn’t mind getting a yellow coris. I had one before, and I never saw any of these. But I also wasn’t keeping coral and other snails at that time.

Does any one know of any other ways to deal with these guys? They are spreading pretty quickly, and I want to get a handle on them as soon as I can. I’m afraid I’ll have to end up dipping all of my rock and staring over.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew.... I have a multitude of them in my tank and starting over with clean rock is not an option.... so I kill when I can and just sort of live with them.... no other choice IMO....

OP
OP
Sharkbait HooHaHa

Sharkbait HooHaHa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fenben looks like an option. But I'd like to avoid having to remove all of my good snails from the system. I'm also concerned about the effect it might have on the fish. I'll have to reads up on it.

I'm reading reports that a yellow coris is a good candidate for eating these things, although there are other opinions that say nothing really eats them. I had a couple of emerald crabs in the tank. I don't know if they were eating these, but I took them out becasue I found them munching on my Duncan one morning.

I'm thinking the wrasse is worth a try before going to the nuclear option. In the meantime I'll start removing the ones I can find that are close to the corals. Luckily, my corals are all still small frags. So they are not permanently attached to anything yet.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 139 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back