vermited snails? or something else

EvanStorzuk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is this weird white tube growing out of my GSP, last night i could have sworn there was a worm coming out of it but it was 3am so i am not really sure. but i bought my live rocks from a guy in fb marketplace and i always wondered what those little tubes were. now i think they are vermited snails... but the guy kept the rocks in really low salinity when he gave them to me and they look all broken and cracked with holes in them. can some one ID that white tube as well as give advice on what to do about the potential snail investation if anything.

worms.jpg worms 3.jpg worms 4.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tube hard? If so, it's likely some variety of vermetid. Not all varieties cause problems... If the web it sends out isn't long and doesn't bother any corals, they can be good filter feeding cuc.

If the tube is more flexible, then it's likely a beneficial tube worm.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tube hard? If so, it's likely some variety of vermetid. Not all varieties cause problems... If the web it sends out isn't long and doesn't bother any corals, they can be good filter feeding cuc.

Agree, if it is a tube worm just keep an eye on your colony, I had them in a zoa colony and they were taking nutrients from my zoa and they were not doing well so I had to remove them. Cool little critters though (if its not the snail, I hate those!!) lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, if it is a tube worm just keep an eye on your colony, I had them in a zoa colony and they were taking nutrients from my zoa and they were not doing well so I had to remove them. Cool little critters though (if its not the snail, I hate those!!) lol
I've got lots of the smaller vermetids and they don't bother anything. The worst I can say about them is they make the rock "prickly" when you pick it up with bare hands.

OP
OP
E

EvanStorzuk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it was soft and there was a worm inside. i got the worm in a little dish. i think it might be a bristle worm but im not sure. what ever it, it and its home has been removed from the GSP

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was soft and there was a worm inside. i got the worm in a little dish. i think it might be a bristle worm but im not sure. what ever it, it and its home has been removed from the GSP
Bristleworms do not live in tubes.

Post a pic of the worm in the fish.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posted this in another thread:
Based on the unusually large parapodia (the little spikes where the bristles come out on polychaetes), I'd guess either a Hesionid or Nereid/Nereidid worm - if it has long, thin, hair-like bristles sticking out, then probably Hesionid; if not, then probably Nereid (there are definitely exceptions to this though).

Neither should cause any issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back