Versa dosing pump calibration questions

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use Versa dosing pumps for my AWC. I just calibrated the New Saltwater pump last week. Seemed like my ATO was running too much so I checked calibration, it was off by 30%+. My storage container is only 25% full and 45 ft away. Did the level of the storage tank affect my calibration? I find it disheartening that calibration drifted that much in a week

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think so, the versa is a very capable pump indeed. You have no head /suction pressure to worry about with this kind of dosing pump.

It's a long line, did you make sure it was fully purged? Air in the dosing line will affect your calibration.

Also, check all your fittings (if you have any!)

OP
OP
ThaBeast

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't think so, the versa is a very capable pump indeed. You have no head /suction pressure to worry about with this kind of dosing pump.

It's a long line, did you make sure it was fully purged? Air in the dosing line will affect your calibration.

Also, check all your fittings (if you have any!)
Thanks I didnt think so either. Only fittings are on the versa pump itself. Perhaps there was an air pocket stuck in the suction line when I calibrated last week. I did inadvertently turn the mixing pump on so it is possible the suction line picked up some air, I had forgotten about that incident until you mentioned air in the line

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very significant difference once set up and pre-calibration between the fill and drain pumps, but I am pushing and draining 10-12 feet vertically from my basement. I think I was ~20% off in both cases, in the direction I would have expected pushing water uphill vs controlling the siphon to the basement sink drain.

With respect to air in the line, I needed to purge the lines with RODI for about a liter before calibrating with a 1L graduated cylinder (500mL). Total run is about 25 feet between basement and tank. Pumps are in the basement.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back