Vertex 150

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a new skimmer for my new tank build. It’s a pain to clean my current skimmer and that’s why I’m considering upgrading..

I saw how easy it is to disassemble the entire vertex 150 for cleaning and that makes me confident in knowing the longevity of the skimmer is built to last.

What’s your thoughts on a skimmer around the 300-400$ range?

KingReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a little bit more expensive but i would recommend a Mini Bubble king 160. Easy to disassemble and works absolute awesome. My opinion is that there’s no other brand better than a Bubble King by Royal Exclusiv!

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a little bit more expensive but i would recommend a Mini Bubble king 160. Easy to disassemble and works absolute awesome. My opinion is that there’s no other brand better than a Bubble King by Royal Exclusiv!
Appreciate the info! I’ve seen a lot of successful tanks run the vertex and I’m leaning towards that direction

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vertex 180i. Productive, requires very little maintenance or adjustment, easy to clean...

I've got two minor issues: 1) The space between the inside riser tube and the outside of the skimmate cup is too narrow for my fat hands. I have to use a washcloth shoved down there to clean it when I empty my skimmate cup. 2) The rather primitive, angled bit of PVC that you use to adjust the outlet flow is a bit hard to dial in. As I said, once dialed in, it doesn't need much, if any, adjustment, but I guess I'm used to a gate valve... being able to easily adjust in very small amounts. You can't do that with this design.

The titanium hardware, very high quality construction, and ease of complete disassembly for cleaning is excellent. For what you buy a skimmer for, it works well... this thing pulls mud. I'd rate it a bit higher than a similar sized Skimz unit, which I'm also familiar with.

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vertex 180i. Productive, requires very little maintenance or adjustment, easy to clean...

I've got two minor issues: 1) The space between the inside riser tube and the outside of the skimmate cup is too narrow for my fat hands. I have to use a washcloth shoved down there to clean it when I empty my skimmate cup. 2) The rather primitive, angled bit of PVC that you use to adjust the outlet flow is a bit hard to dial in. As I said, once dialed in, it doesn't need much, if any, adjustment, but I guess I'm used to a gate valve... being able to easily adjust in very small amounts. You can't do that with this design.

The titanium hardware, very high quality construction, and ease of complete disassembly for cleaning is excellent. For what you buy a skimmer for, it works well... this thing pulls mud. I'd rate it a bit higher than a similar sized Skimz unit, which I'm also familiar with.
Thanks for the info!
My last skimmer was difficult to clean which I think caused a lot of the issues I was getting towards the end of life lol

Back