Vertex 170

Bigwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been Running a Vertex skimmer that came with a Red Dragon pump flawless for 10 years. About a month ago I was doing routine maintenance and accidentally dropped the pump and broke it. Someone locally was selling the same skimmer locally so I bought it to use the pump. I guess Vertex to save money switched to a Chinese knockoff version and now all my skimmer does is overflow which it had never done in a decade of use. Has any tried the mini Red Dragon 3 with controller on this skimmer body or should I toss it and buy a Bubble King?

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An RD3 50 could be used on that skimmer but in all honesty, I don’t think its really worth spending the money on that skimmer. You’d be better off selling the skimmer and getting a double cone 180. On the Vertex, have you tried opening or closing the nozzle on the pump intake more? That will usually solve this issue. This assuming you have the intake version with the adjustable volute.

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the volute. Older version doesn't come with adjustable volute. So you may want to open that up and along with the skimmer output.

Back