Vertex Cerebra Videos

Reefin Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

I got the Vertex Cerebra on Monday, July 11th and have been toying around with it since.
Was told I was the Customer #1 :D

I've uploaded a few videos over the past couple of days to share my experience with the reefing community. Links and updates to videos will be posted in this thread to make it easier for members to find them.

My focus is on making a mini-series for this promising controller.

Feel free to make a request of any aspect of the Vertex Cerebra you want and I'll make a video of it.
+Reefin Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Reefin Ross

Reefin Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sweet! Thanks for posting!

What program did you use to mirror access the unit?

I just start VNC by running the VNC App on the cerebra and used Firefox on my laptop.
Any browser would work as long as you have a 'back' key.

Doesn't work well on ipad because of the lack of physical keyboard. I might write an iOS App to wrap around a browser. Maybe make the app look like the Cerebra button layout. I know Vertex is going to push an App out at some point so I might not do it.

Another way is put up a website that encapsulate the VNC server with Vertex Cerebra buttons.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or does that section where the outlets plug into look rather large.
Even the display looks like it would stick out from wall quite far

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the vids!

OP
OP
Reefin Ross

Reefin Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having that said, the power bar packs a lot of useful and expensive sensors and I would love to be able to buy it alone.

I think it will get much better with software updates. Even with Apex, the controller champ has major issues with the latest release.
All the hardware are there for future expansion.

I think it would be possible to run the multibar by itself. You would need to capture the USB messages between it and the controller.
Once the communication protocol is decoded, you can use a tablet with a USB port to run it.
It would be easier to start trying to use the temperature sensor first.

koshersalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will get much better with software updates. Even with Apex, the controller champ has major issues with the latest release.
All the hardware are there for future expansion.

I think it would be possible to run the multibar by itself. You would need to capture the USB messages between it and the controller.
Once the communication protocol is decoded, you can use a tablet with a USB port to run it.
It would be easier to start trying to use the temperature sensor first.

Potential for future hardware upgrades?
Would be interesting to see any future hardware upgrades being made by way of swapping just the android interface itself.

slosoak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the power bars be connected together like the apex or does everything need to be connected to the controller?

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the power bars be connected together like the apex or does everything need to be connected to the controller?

There is only 1 USB connection on the power bar so you cannot daisy chain them. They either need to be connected directly to the controller or you need to use a USB hub which in my opinion isn't reliable. Having been in the computer industry for nearly 30 years and my core business being a server manufacturer, I have decades of experience with USB hubs and most fail after 12 months of continual use. This applies to most every decent commercially available USB hub I have ever used. I have trouble shot some many issues as a result to faulty USB hubs for color grading control surfaces to USB based RAID units and more that we've learned to recommend avoiding them for critical devices. Especially nearline data storage arrays. As such, using a USB hub for anything mission critical is not a good solution long term IMO.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back