Vertex Cerebra

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it. Get something that's tried and true. I had the Cerebra, I sold it and got an Apex and never looked back.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a apex and got a Cerebra.... I had 4 apex systems gold,jr, and 2 new apex systems with most of the add ons including 4 wavs. (Edit after thinking about it)

If you go with the apex classic then yes it is tried and true... The new apex is still as new as the Cerebra.

If you want something right now go with GHL or Apex.. I do think the new Cerebra is worth the wait though.

I will have to admit that the LOOP from Current looks interesting. I know they are selling like crazy.

I almost forgot about Tunze controller it also is looking good. ( I will end up with one soon :) )

Last edited:

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually a moot point right now anyway. Vertex released a limited number of cerebra units last year. Thy were sold as beta units but the hardware was supposedly final. Then several months later (?January) they announced that they were completely redesigning the hardware to be released in May (2017). As of yet it hasn't been released and I haven't heard any news recently, so unless you're planning on buying one of the old, beta units it's still unavailable.

Regardless, even if they released it tomorrow I would definitely hold off. If they have completely redesigned it as they stated then I would also expect bugs in the system that need to be worked out.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still recommend the Cerebra as long as you have to beta unit to my understanding Vertex will trade it in for the newer on at there cost. I just like the fact it is based off android as it will open the doors to a lot of DIY projects.

As of today though the Apex system is great so is GHL. It also looks like more and more company's are releasing controllers so there are going to be quite a bit more choices on the market for everyone.

It might be best to wait to see what happens in the next little while..

I still like the Tunze 7000 :)

OP
OP
DVal

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I've got some time to sit back and see how these new systems perform. The build is on hold right now. We're looking into the possibility of moving. Don't really want to set it up then have to break it down.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I've got some time to sit back and see how these new systems perform. The build is on hold right now. We're looking into the possibility of moving. Don't really want to set it up then have to break it down.

Don't blame you I did that once..... Never again :)

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had them all.
Vertex will be releasing Cerebra version 2 soon, the current one will be obsolete. I am holding it until the swap out to compare to the P4.

I now run a GHL P4.
I absolutely love this controller, (still not 100% functionality)

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Apex is pretty much the gold standard..but I really don't like the idea of inputting codes.

In all honesty its not hard and has auto correct :) you can tell they have spent time on this. I do like the interface of the Cerebra but the Fusion is well done.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Apex is pretty much the gold standard..but I really don't like the idea of inputting codes.
Have you check the Archon. It uses functions instead of code for output programming. You would choose a function like skimmer then select alarms to turn off or on the output if you which. You can use multiple alarms per output or multiple outputs per alarm.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coding is a double edge sword, IMO. It has the advantage of being very flexible but you run the risks of writing bugs into your code. Someone who has the Apex system can chime in here, but I thought Apex has a web based interface that allows most functions to be programmed without coding. Is this true?

With the more automated systems, you have an interface layer that's programmed by someone else. Theoretically this has been thoroughly tested and debugged, but that may not be the case. (case in point - I work with a system called Epic used in health care. We just upgraded to a new version and shortly there after discovered bugs that were causing mistakes in patent orders.)

The other potential drawback with the graphical systems is that the flexibility and capabilities are limited to what the interface is programmed to do. If everything you want to do fits with what the programmers thought of then you're golden. If not, you may be stuck.

Combining flexibility with ease of use is the holy grail that everyone strives for but few actually achieve.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back