Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer Impeller Troubles

AlteranX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Wondering if someone can help me out here, in a bit of a bind as I have a failed pump (Ceramic shaft snapped in the Pinwheel impeller), and the pump isn't doing anything sadly.

I cannot seem to get any response from Vertex at all, I've seen some past threads on here with people whom have been able to contact an Andy at Vertex, however, he is no longer with the company.

I did contact BRS as they're who I bought the skimmer from, Chad told me to reach out to them at [email protected]. I haven't heard anything from them, unfortunately. Also worth noting, I sent a note to [email protected], and I've tried both their numbers listed on their website, which I get a voicemail prompt but cannot leave a message as their inbox is full.

Does anyone have any information on where I could buy a replacement impeller for the pump, or a replacement pump? Or, am I chalking this up as a loss and I am going to need to fork out another $400 for a new skimmer (least desirable option).

Thanks all!
-Nate

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had pumps on 130 and 180 go out. Crickets from them. I modified it with a Mag 3 and Mag 5 with a venturi (similar to a lifereef) into the input on the bottom. They performed better than with the stock pumps. I was incredibly disappointed with the performance of the skimmer with the stock pump, but I was able to make lemonaid out of a pile of crap. If I were you, I get a new skimmer or just find a different pump for these. I was always just underwhelmed with their performance I regretted not just getting another LifeReef or ASM.

BTW - I got a replacement impeller from eBay, but it did not last long either. I could not find any sites that sold them.

OP
OP
A

AlteranX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truly sad thing is this is an amazing skimmer, which works wonders for my Red Sea Reefer 250. My issue with me completely disassembling it is my temperature would raise erratically approximately 3-4 degrees Fahrenheit, and this is a big no no for me as I run a cool-water tank for my Ventralis Anthias (I don't like my temp to go above 72.)

When I first disassembled it after doing a quick vinegar soak for 10 minutes I noticed a bunch of small like shavings once I disassembled it down to the Impeller. I noticed no physical debris, as I am very religiously cleaning the skimmer every 2-3 months, other than the shavings. They're of hard plastic some of the larger pieces, so, I am thinking the impeller was in a state of failure and grinding itself down and probably the source of my temperature increase. It is just honestly a bunch of crap as I cannot get a response from them.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something is going on at Vertex, we all could be witnessing the early signs of the downfall of one of the industry greats here. There is very little stock of most of their big sellers at any of the major retailers and they have been MIA for a while at the main office

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlteranX

I was told from a Sicce USA representative that the Sicce PSK 1000 impeller would work as a replacement impeller for the Vertex Omega 150 skimmer. I purchased the part today and can confirm it fits but have not had a chance to run the pump yet. Note, the PSK 1000 design regarding the wheel part is different than the original impeller but that is basically just a way to break up air into small bubbles (and I suspect the newer design my be better than the older impeller design in that regards).

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlteranX

I was told from a Sicce USA representative that the Sicce PSK 1000 impeller would work as a replacement impeller for the Vertex Omega 150 skimmer. I purchased the part today and can confirm it fits but have not had a chance to run the pump yet. Note, the PSK 1000 design regarding the wheel part is different than the original impeller but that is basically just a way to break up air into small bubbles (and I suspect the newer design my be better than the older impeller design in that regards).
Interesting. Would you mind sending me a pic of your pumps info sticker if you get some time?!

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Would you mind sending me a pic of your pumps info sticker if you get some time?!
I wish I had seen this earlier. I just reinstalled back in my sump with the protein skimmer body, and I'm not going to uninstall it as the new impeller is working perfectly. I have total silence, and I'm afraid of jinxing it. I didn't realize how much extra noise my old impeller was creating just from the small chip in the bottom of its shaft.

But I can say this as far as the pump itself, as I had looked at it repeatedly, there isn't any special information that would be useful to you. It just listed the wattage and mhz and says something like "V-150 vertex omega pump" and maybe had a footnote somewhere that pump was custom made by Sicce for vertex. It does not have any identifying information of the pump (some older pictures of vertex. Omega 150 pumps say like Sicce SK-400 on the pump- mine does not have anything like that listed). Hope that helps. If you have a picture of your infirmation sticker, I can tell you if mine looked similar, or I'll try to find an image of one online

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dominic Prezwanski. here 'ya go. Not the best picture but hopefully will tell you what you are wanting to know

20200414_193345.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if this impeller will work for the pump in the 130 also?
Edited to fix the entire sentence...
I don't know, but if I had to guess, I would think one of the other psk impellers would fit (maybe psk 600 impeller ?).

Below is the gentleman's information from sicce usa who responded to my email question about the omega 150 impeller. You could e-mail him and inquire about the omega 130 impeller replacement and see what he says (edit: I sent him an email and will post back when I get a response). If you find out, I think it's a good idea to post your findings on the boards here so others can benefit. I know a lot of people have posted frustrations with vertex going out of business. It's nice to have a back up for some parts at least, and impellers are more common to need replaced than skimmer body.

Dave Owen
Operations, N. America
SICCE US, INC.
4811 Lyons Technology Parkway
Suite 16
Coconut Creek, FL 33073
O 954.290.2334
M 754.252.6534
[email protected]

Last edited:

Saybng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did anyone find out of any replacement impeller for the omega 150? Have same issue as everyone else..

Attachments

• 20201126_092040.jpg
    20201126_092040.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20201126_091950.jpg
    20201126_091950.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 177

Saybng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had try that impeller and it didn't seem to produce much bubbles, and it seem smaller then original..

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, your pump is a psk 400, I'm not sure is the exact same as my pump. I do know the wheel design was different and didn't seem to produce the same bubbles. One person I know was able to remove the original wheel design and attach it to the new ceramic shaft, but he never said anything about the new impeller being smaller. @Maximitsurugi any thoughts on this?

Saybng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats interesting in regards to r&r of original wheel..got me thinking..ty.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back