vertex skimmer worth the headache

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had the skimmer for 6 mouths set up on 2 differnt tank and i still can get it working ight just over flows 6in 7in 71\2in water did the vinger bath took it a part and clean it let it over flow i cant seem to make it work

is their a reason to keep tying with this skimmer is can i just sell it and move on

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 130 unfortunately has some known issue with too much air for the body size and it’s very hard to keep dialed in.

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to go buy a needle air valve or a simple 3/8 ball valve.
EHRgX8j.jpg

The pump on the vertex 130 and 150 is too strong and you need to bring down the air intake. Adding a valve inline to the pump (the air tubing) allows for fine tuning of the skimmer. I have the 150 and had a hard time tuning the thing. Now with the mod I produce the nastiest poop sitting in 7.5” of water

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to go buy a needle air valve or a simple 3/8 ball valve.
EHRgX8j.jpg

The pump on the vertex 130 and 150 is too strong and you need to bring down the air intake. Adding a valve inline to the pump (the air tubing) allows for fine tuning of the skimmer. I have the 150 and had a hard time tuning the thing. Now with the mod I produce the nastiest poop sitting in 7.5” of water

nice i will try anything at this point

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how they added the valve on their Somatic series but not their original? I use the Somatic 60S and it works great. Quite often I have to see if either the dog farted or it’s time to clean the cup. :D
I have a Somatic 60 too. Can’t stand it. When it works, it’s beautiful. Trying to get it dialed in and get it to stay there is another story. Recently I had to get another skimmer while I waited for parts for the Somatic. I bought an Octo and is sooo much easier to use. Does a great job and I don’t have to mess with it nearly as much.

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your water depth? My experience with that skimmer was it did best on the shallow side. Microbubbles were still a problem for me for months, when it just magically fixed itself at some point.

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the Valve work but now it making bubbles like crazy any way to stop that

Screw the Venturi all the way into the pump. Open the stand pipe all the way, and have the air valve open. Start to adjust the standpipe and air valve and get the small bubbles to the base of the collection cup. It’s all about tuning now.

ar50Rv9.jpg

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your water depth? My experience with that skimmer was it did best on the shallow side. Microbubbles were still a problem for me for months, when it just magically fixed itself at some point.
7in of water now

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screw the Venturi all the way into the pump. Open the stand pipe all the way, and have the air valve open. Start to adjust the standpipe and air valve and get the small bubbles to the base of the collection cup. It’s all about tuning now.

ar50Rv9.jpg
Ya I just have the micro running all in the display

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my stand pipe is at 50, 7.5” depth, Venturi closed all the way, and the air valve closed half way. You might just need to give it time to break in

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem with my skimmer. After adjusting the air bubbles they started coming out of everywhere. I had to raise the skimmer to get it to work right. Turns out my pump was going bad and needed to be replaced. But yours is only 6 months old so I don’t see that being a problem. It’s your pump the one that can be adjusted on the front??

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem with my skimmer. After adjusting the air bubbles they started coming out of everywhere. I had to raise the skimmer to get it to work right. Turns out my pump was going bad and needed to be replaced. But yours is only 6 months old so I don’t see that being a problem. It’s your pump the one that can be adjusted on the front??
Yes in I've been letting run and just ignoring the bubbles the seem to die down a little

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back