vertex skimmer worth the headache

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 130 as well and have the hardest time with micro bubbles. Every time i empty the cup I end up having to reset everything. I have the little air valve that is in the tube that runs from the pump to the big red thing. That air valve and the stand pipe are the only things i can adjust right? What are you all calling the venturi?

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 130 as well and have the hardest time with micro bubbles. Every time i empty the cup I end up having to reset everything. I have the little air valve that is in the tube that runs from the pump to the big red thing. That air valve and the stand pipe are the only things i can adjust right? What are you all calling the venturi?

You have to add a valve to the silicone tubing coming into the pump. The Venturi is the white screw plastic piece that goes into the water pump. Have that all the way screwed in

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that little air valve is really key to getting them tuned, but I have never really had too many issues with them. I have owned 180i, somatic 60s and now 120s and feel they are some of the very best skimmers you can get. Should you ever run a co2 scrubber or outside line then it's nice to have the extra power from the pump (I when running a co2 scrubber in the past and now outside line) have removed the air restrictor since the longer line provides it's own restriction.

When I built a new system I went straight to the somatic line, I don't feel any skimmer in the hobby can touch it's performance for the price.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to add a valve to the silicone tubing coming into the pump. The Venturi is the white screw plastic piece that goes into the water pump. Have that all the way screwed in

I have the air line valve alread . Didnt know about the part on the pump

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190510_123811.jpg

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have no idea what happened there but mine actually came with that air valve set up. Maybe they started including it in the newest ones?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea mine all came with that valve. I bet they would send you one.

Mine did not come with a valve and I’ve emailed them more than 3 times trying to find out what size I need so I can buy one myself. No reply...I also need something to cap the collection cup drain tube. Can you confirm that tube is the same size as the air tubing?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to try some distributors too and the place you got it from, but even just partially covering the silencer or adding other restriction should work fine.

At least on the 120 I just put the air tubing on the collection cup drain and it's a nice snug fit if that is what you were asking.

wiselyy73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could not find this kind of marine source air valve any where. Anyone know where I can it from?

OP
OP
Thegoodson

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
soo was doing ok now it been causing issue with bubbles ....making some many mico bubble and its getting in the main
display

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back