Very high tin levels.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Two things that were causing metals(High tin and others) to leach into my system which were killing my SPS. I was using cheap airline tubing for my dosing lines. I changed out to Red Sea dosing lines .

Second, I kept a high water line in the tank. My wave pumps were causing water to be in constant contact with my metal innovative marine tank lid. Water was flowing inside the lid as well. I lowered the water line and use continuum from Amazon. Sps recovered almost immediately. First sign I had of contamination was loss of polyp extension. Polyp extension and growth are back. Hth’s

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to take away from OP but I received an ATI ICP test showing elevated levels of tin. I’m not so sure if I believe it. The magnets on my Vortechs are fine, I am taking return pump and skimmer pump apart this weekend. I guess I’m just not sure. The icp test also said my salinity was low. Which is definitely hard to believe. I calibrate my refractometer frequently and the tank was reading 1.026 before and after I sent the sample in.

I did not realize that plastic or vinyl tubing could leech metals. I only have two small pieces of vinyl tubing on my system, both are right before and right after my UV. Probably 18” total. All corals look great. I’m surprised because of how many people for years have ran tubing on their systems.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to take away from OP but I received an ATI ICP test showing elevated levels of tin. I’m not so sure if I believe it. The magnets on my Vortechs are fine, I am taking return pump and skimmer pump apart this weekend. I guess I’m just not sure. The icp test also said my salinity was low. Which is definitely hard to believe. I calibrate my refractometer frequently and the tank was reading 1.026 before and after I sent the sample in.

I did not realize that plastic or vinyl tubing could leech metals. I only have two small pieces of vinyl tubing on my system, both are right before and right after my UV. Probably 18” total. All corals look great. I’m surprised because of how many people for years have ran tubing on their systems.

What level? Elevated does not necessarily mean a problem. Only the highest levels reported seem to correlate with an issue.

wsoldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

There's a few other high tin threads out there, but I found that not all vinyl tubing is created equal. For me, the BRS tubing was fine but the seemingly identical tubing from Home Depot was the source of a lot of tin leeching for me.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a few other high tin threads out there, but I found that not all vinyl tubing is created equal. For me, the BRS tubing was fine but the seemingly identical tubing from Home Depot was the source of a lot of tin leeching for me.
I got my tubing from BRS. Like I said, I have not removed return pump or skimmer pump yet to rule those out. Although the return pump is only 10 mo the old and skimmer is 6 months old. Not that it matters

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Generally, not seemingly high enough to be a concern.

While there are many different tin compounds that may possibly be present, and they would have different toxicity, folks seeing problems usually have MUCH higher levels.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, not seemingly high enough to be a concern.

While there are many different tin compounds that may possibly be present, and they would have different toxicity, folks seeing problems usually have MUCH higher levels.
Thank you for the reply. I am not too concerned about the current levels. I will do another icp test in a couple months. Although I am not convinced of their results. I have put some carbon in the system, although I am not positive it removes tin? Some have said yes and some no.

If the test is correct, the tin is definitely coming from somewhere. I will post what happens when I remove and inspect return and skimmer pumps.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 52 65.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%

Back