Very slow STN on corals

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I have a few birdsnest and a purple stylophora that I have had for 4 months. I switched to a larger tank around 2.5 months ago and have had the dry rock tank going with live sand for 6 months total.

After the tank move, I had a bought of what looked like dinos even though the Salifert tests were showing 2.5-5 on nitrate and .08 phosphate. I bought a UV sterilizer and did 48 hours in a dark out and have continually been dosing microbacter7 and phyto and the problem has resolved. I am slowing bring the blues back up and keep the whites off to make sure everything has a chance to recover.

I saw the start of STN on the birdsnest around the time I saw the dinos and slowly over the course of 2 weeks, it has gradually progressed. I have kept alk between 8.9 and 9.3 through all of this. I noticed in the last few days the stylo is now doing the same from the bottom up.

I also have a monti that isn't looking good and was covered in dinos a few weeks ago.

I am using Red Sea Pro and every time I do a 10% water change (weekly) it increases the alkalinity so I haven't had to dose. I have used this from the beginning and everything was good until the dinos popped up.

The softies and the LPS are growing well. Any suggestions on what I may need to try? I dipped the stylo and BN in logos and coral RX 5 days ago and the STN continues.

Nitrate 2.5
Phosp .03
Alk 8.9
Ph 8.2
Sal 1.026
Ca 480
Mg 1410

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I originally started the tank it was closer to 10-11 and I have let the coral slowly bring it down to that range and then only do small water changes so that it raises it back up to around 9.3. So, when I moved to the bigger tank 2.5 months ago, it was higher again and it has come down and now stays within .5 units.

It is something I am questioning as everything I have read says that SPS doesn't need that high alk and so I am wondering if this is the issue. I have used this salt from day one and have been growing the SPS for 4 months with it without any real issues until now, so I am not sure if it is part of the challenge.

I also had an issue about 1.5 months ago with too much Vibrant on a dosing and diluted that back out, but alk stayed at 9.3 to 9.5 during that and at least the monti wasn't in there at that time, so this seems to be related to around the time the dinos came.

What is odd is that everyone says dinos show up when there is no nitrate or phos. I test every 2 days nitrate, phos and alk and have never seen a crash, so I can't explain that part either.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I originally started the tank it was closer to 10-11 and I have let the coral slowly bring it down to that range and then only do small water changes so that it raises it back up to around 9.3. So, when I moved to the bigger tank 2.5 months ago, it was higher again and it has come down and now stays within .5 units.

It is something I am questioning as everything I have read says that SPS doesn't need that high alk and so I am wondering if this is the issue. I have used this salt from day one and have been growing the SPS for 4 months with it without any real issues until now, so I am not sure if it is part of the challenge.

I also had an issue about 1.5 months ago with too much Vibrant on a dosing and diluted that back out, but alk stayed at 9.3 to 9.5 during that and at least the monti wasn't in there at that time, so this seems to be related to around the time the dinos came.

What is odd is that everyone says dinos show up when there is no nitrate or phos. I test every 2 days nitrate, phos and alk and have never seen a crash, so I can't explain that part either.

Then what you are seeing in STN is definitely due to vibrant. also I would watch the Phosphates. 0.03 is as good as zero.

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what you are seeing in STN is definitely due to vibrant. also I would watch the Phosphates. 0.03 is as good as zero.

Anything that I can do? I ran GAC for quite awhile and did a couple of 25% water changes that first week after and then the 10% changes thereafter each week.

I was going to increase the phos up this afternoon back to around .08 to keep the dinos from coming back just ran out of time.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that I can do? I ran GAC for quite awhile and did a couple of 25% water changes that first week after and then the 10% changes thereafter each week.

I was going to increase the phos up this afternoon back to around .08 to keep the dinos from coming back just ran out of time.

Already too many changes ( tank switch, blackout, vibrant) have been made in a very short span of time in a very young tank. The best thing to do would be to let your parameters stabilize for some time at reasonable levels after bringing up the Phosphate. In the meanwhile enjoy your LPS and Softies, dont rush things.

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only used it once 1.5 months ago because our LFS didn't have the Microbacter. I haven't used it since and have done a bunch of water changes

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is related to changes, if I cut the tips off that are still good, will they still STN? Also, what is everyone's preferred alk level for SPS?

Thanks

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is related to changes, if I cut the tips off that are still good, will they still STN? Also, what is everyone's preferred alk level for SPS?

Thanks
Really hard to give a solid answer. If the problem is systemic it won't help. If it is more pest related then yes, absolutely.

Edit: In the USA anyway, many are converging on 7-8.5 ranges on ALK. At least all the acro people I follow.

Back