Very thin Bi-Color blenny - help!

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Our Bi-color Blenny has been looking increasingly thin over the last month or two. We’ve had him since Feb 2022, Wild caught from our LFS. He had already been there a couple of weeks and was doing good. We’ve been dealing with some other issues in the tank and didn’t realize how bad it had become. I read in the pinned threads that Midas Blennys often have this issue.

I will get a photo shortly, but he’s visually thin and his head looks really big compared to his body. I haven’t seen him show his yellow tail in a couple of weeks and he’s been ‘striping’ more often.

He comes out and eats with all the other fish but he has 2 clownfish, a goby, a dottieback and a voracious cleaner shrimp to compete with. He is a get in get out type of eater and hides a lot after getting a couple of bites. He is visible in his barnacle homes/on the rocks all day though.

I have a QT tank in the garage but I’m not sure if I could catch him without tearing the tank apart. I’m also worried that if his odds aren’t good he’ll just decline alone in the bare bottom tank outside of this comfort zone since he’s such a shy fish.

It doesn’t help that we’ve been back and forth with our feeding routine since our nitrites have been high over the last several months. I’ve been feeding frozen hikari brand spiralina mysis and frozen enriched brine shrimp, and hikari coral gumbo. We were down to 3 x a week when nitrates were high. Now we do 1 block every other day but I’m trying to increase to every day.
My LFS recommended some dry flake food for him but it floats and he doesn’t come anywhere near the top of the water.

I’m not sure how good his odds are. But I was hoping to see if anyone else has had this same experience and has any tips on how to help him. ):

thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

Our Bi-color Blenny has been looking increasingly thin over the last month or two. We’ve had him since Feb 2022, Wild caught from our LFS. He had already been there a couple of weeks and was doing good. We’ve been dealing with some other issues in the tank and didn’t realize how bad it had become. I read in the pinned threads that Midas Blennys often have this issue.

I will get a photo shortly, but he’s visually thin and his head looks really big compared to his body. I haven’t seen him show his yellow tail in a couple of weeks and he’s been ‘striping’ more often.

He comes out and eats with all the other fish but he has 2 clownfish, a goby, a dottieback and a voracious cleaner shrimp to compete with. He is a get in get out type of eater and hides a lot after getting a couple of bites. He is visible in his barnacle homes/on the rocks all day though.

I have a QT tank in the garage but I’m not sure if I could catch him without tearing the tank apart. I’m also worried that if his odds aren’t good he’ll just decline alone in the bare bottom tank outside of this comfort zone since he’s such a shy fish.

It doesn’t help that we’ve been back and forth with our feeding routine since our nitrites have been high over the last several months. I’ve been feeding frozen hikari brand spiralina mysis and frozen enriched brine shrimp, and hikari coral gumbo. We were down to 3 x a week when nitrates were high. Now we do 1 block every other day but I’m trying to increase to every day.
My LFS recommended some dry flake food for him but it floats and he doesn’t come anywhere near the top of the water.

I’m not sure how good his odds are. But I was hoping to see if anyone else has had this same experience and has any tips on how to help him. ):

thank you
Although this fish is known as an algae eater, some reefers think grazing can satisfy all of its nutritional needs added feeding with meaty foods containing vegetable matter such as LRS fish frenzy and Rods original formula as well as algae tabs.

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lord I guess I didn’t realize he was a herbivore. I feel awful.
will fresh water algae sinking wafers be ok until I can get him his own? We do not get much algae in the tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back