Very weird DIY "sump" idea

Rafa3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
So for lack of knowledge I thought for my first saltwater tank, a canister filter would be better for my 20L instead of a sump. So I got a used 100 gallon topfin filter, a remora aqua c induction skimmer (which requires a huge pump and 1" tubing to sit inside the tank), and I am also using a surface skimmer to help oxygen and light penetration. Along with a heater for at night and a cooler for during the day (lights heat up the water during the day). Last but not least, I made an auto top off system with a bucket, pump, relay, and arduino.
My tank has more equipment packed into it than water. I have a picture attached
So here's my idea:
  1. I remove the auto top off system
  2. Install overflow box
  3. Uninstall canister filter, skimmer, surface skimmer, heater, cooler.
  4. Fill up my bucket with saltwater and place all equipment inside
  5. Install return pump
  6. Install float switch on bucket lid and connect to return pump.
The only flaw I see with this, is that now my already overpowered equipment, will be even more overpowered in a 5 gallon bucket. I'm sure the overflow can't compete with the turnover rate of the filter and skimmer. But other than that, I see no flaws and don't see how this could hurt anything.

But please let me know your opinions as this is indeed my first tank. And it looks very ugly.
Thanks!

(P.S. Don't have an actual sump due to price; I put the whole setup together for $150 and spending another $150+ for a sump defeats the purpose :))

ZkTdPjW.jpg

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several issues with this idea.

1) when the system shuts down, water will continue to drain a bit. More than likely, your bucket will not hold all that water, causing water on your floor. A float switch wouldn't do anything in this case.

2) You'd get tons of micro bubbles in your display. Without a baffle or adequate spacing between your drain line and return pump you'll just be dumping tons of bubbles into the return pump.

3) Depending on your pump size you'll likely need two drain lines to keep up. That or seriously limit your pumps outflow by using a valve.

4) Adding a sump will increase the surface area of the water exposed to the air, Thus increasing evaporation rate. You'd need that ATO even more than you do now.

Your best option would be to find a cheap 10-20 gallon tank. Usually $10-$30 brand new from the store. Some 1/4" acrylic for a single baffle or even two, with a cutter is around $30. For around $60 you'd be able to have yourself a good sump that you can hide your equipment in and can handle the back flow water when the power is cut. You can keep your ATO, space permitting, even. Cutting corners is dangerous in this hobby, you can easily end up with a tank full of dead live stock, or arguably even worse, a floor full of water.

OP
OP
Rafa3030

Rafa3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several issues with this idea.

1) when the system shuts down, water will continue to drain a bit. More than likely, your bucket will not hold all that water, causing water on your floor. A float switch wouldn't do anything in this case.

2) You'd get tons of micro bubbles in your display. Without a baffle or adequate spacing between your drain line and return pump you'll just be dumping tons of bubbles into the return pump.

3) Depending on your pump size you'll likely need two drain lines to keep up. That or seriously limit your pumps outflow by using a valve.

4) Adding a sump will increase the surface area of the water exposed to the air, Thus increasing evaporation rate. You'd need that ATO even more than you do now.

Your best option would be to find a cheap 10-20 gallon tank. Usually $10-$30 brand new from the store. Some 1/4" acrylic for a single baffle or even two, with a cutter is around $30. For around $60 you'd be able to have yourself a good sump that you can hide your equipment in and can handle the back flow water when the power is cut. You can keep your ATO, space permitting, even. Cutting corners is dangerous in this hobby, you can easily end up with a tank full of dead live stock, or arguably even worse, a floor full of water.
I appreciate this. You probably saved me a lot of headache. I guess the right thing to do is just get a little 10 gallon. Only issue is I can't fit the canister, bucket, and a 10 gallon tank inside the cabinet :/ i'll figure something out. And one of the main reasons for doing this is the microbubbles. That remora skimmer floods the tank with microbubbles. I figured if I moved it and used a filter sock, it might eliminate it. But I appreciate the tips greatly and will take your advice. You're right about cutting corners. Found some kits on ebay for making a sump out of different size tanks. I will hopefully have a nice tank soon :)

Hendrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
So for lack of knowledge I thought for my first saltwater tank, a canister filter would be better for my 20L instead of a sump. So I got a used 100 gallon topfin filter, a remora aqua c induction skimmer (which requires a huge pump and 1" tubing to sit inside the tank), and I am also using a surface skimmer to help oxygen and light penetration. Along with a heater for at night and a cooler for during the day (lights heat up the water during the day). Last but not least, I made an auto top off system with a bucket, pump, relay, and arduino.
My tank has more equipment packed into it than water. I have a picture attached
So here's my idea:
  1. I remove the auto top off system
  2. Install overflow box
  3. Uninstall canister filter, skimmer, surface skimmer, heater, cooler.
  4. Fill up my bucket with saltwater and place all equipment inside
  5. Install return pump
  6. Install float switch on bucket lid and connect to return pump.
The only flaw I see with this, is that now my already overpowered equipment, will be even more overpowered in a 5 gallon bucket. I'm sure the overflow can't compete with the turnover rate of the filter and skimmer. But other than that, I see no flaws and don't see how this could hurt anything.

But please let me know your opinions as this is indeed my first tank. And it looks very ugly.
Thanks!

(P.S. Don't have an actual sump due to price; I put the whole setup together for $150 and spending another $150+ for a sump defeats the purpose :))

ZkTdPjW.jpg
My 1st reef tank was a 55 gal with two aquaclear 600's & a small hang on skimmer. Ran great for years, 2nd tank was a 125 gallon tank with identical set up and ran great for years. Both went into a new 500 gallon with lots of gadgets. Simple is good. Find a used smaller skimmer in the forum. Someone has one to sell them n the cheap. Not familiar with yours sounds too big! Circulate some fresh salt water in a 5 gallon bucket and get red solo cup (every one can find one) and use a "Rafa" top off. Tank low add a cup or two.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back