Vibrant as a daily routine

RDGzero6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has been brought up but I looked on the search thread and seem to be used only to get rid of algae.

My question is has anyone used this method as a daily routine dosing as a substitute of chateo and a CUC?

thoughts?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has been brought up but I looked on the search thread and seem to be used only to get rid of algae.

My question is has anyone used this method as a daily routine dosing as a substitute of chateo and a CUC?

thoughts?
I don't believe that Vibrant is effective at a daily dosing. It needs the higher volume single dose to function correctly. You could probably do 2x per week dosing in an effort to go this route, along with running GFO, but you would have to treat it as an ULNS. Those are a bit touchy for my taste.

OP
OP
RDGzero6

RDGzero6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. ill probably just dose as "fixed" issue and go back to my daily fuge routine.

Thanks Brew12

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got hair algae diadema sea urchins worked miracles on my rocks. They are completely white now! I even have to feed them sinking algae pellets daily.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got hair algae diadema sea urchins worked miracles on my rocks. They are completely white now! I even have to feed them sinking algae pellets daily.
Thinking of getting an urchin, what has worked best for you?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting an urchin, what has worked best for you?

Definitely diadema sea urchins. Ive got two in a 200 gallon. Possibly around 30 pounds of rock.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely diadema sea urchins. Ive got two in a 200 gallon. Possibly around 30 pounds of rock.
I tried that route. Even purposely allowed algae to grow on my rocks thinking he would get off to a healthy start. He climbed over clump after clump of algae to get to the back wall and eat the corraline algae. Hasn't left the back wall since he got there a few weeks ago. Silly urchin.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that route. Even purposely allowed algae to grow on my rocks thinking he would get off to a healthy start. He climbed over clump after clump of algae to get to the back wall and eat the corraline algae. Hasn't left the back wall since he got there a few weeks ago. Silly urchin.

Too badthat sucks. Was it a diadema? I think they will search for corraline when they need calcium. Mine has also ate my corraline but it keeps growing back. Do you dose carbon sources? Most of my algae was whitish green. Ive noticed dying haor algse more palatable to things.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too badthat sucks. Was it a diadema? I think they will search for corraline when they need calcium. Mine has also ate my corraline but it keeps growing back. Do you dose carbon sources? Most of my algae was whitish green. Ive noticed dying haor algse more palatable to things.
It is a Diadema. Absolutely beautiful. Not sure what kind of algae it is but it isn't hair algae. I don't even mind it eating the corraline as long as it is happy, I have plenty of it and my tank keeps making more. I was just surprised that it passed over the nice green algae.

I do not do any carbon dosing.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Diadema. Absolutely beautiful. Not sure what kind of algae it is but it isn't hair algae. I don't even mind it eating the corraline as long as it is happy, I have plenty of it and my tank keeps making more. I was just surprised that it passed over the nice green algae.

I do not do any carbon dosing.

Ah ok. If possible remove that rock and spray it with h2o2 3%. Then see if he eats it maybe?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. If possible remove that rock and spray it with h2o2 3%. Then see if he eats it maybe?
I've done a little spot treating to see if it will be effective at eliminating the algae, and it is. But the urchin has shown no interest in leaving the back wall. Its all good though, the urchin is happy and I can get rid of the algae now that he isn't eating it. It will just take a month or two if I figure right.

OP
OP
RDGzero6

RDGzero6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have turf algae and I have an urchin he’s taking most of it but I also have bubble algae that I would like to eradicate

Back