Vibrant update ?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think bacteria are regulated as pesticides?
pesticides consisting of microorganisms (not saying that vibrant is) are classified as microbial pesticides (as a branch of bio pesticides) according to the epa website. However I am not exactly sure what epas regulations and rulings on these are.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pesticides consisting of microorganisms (not saying that vibrant is) are classified as microbial pesticides (as a branch of bio pesticides) according to the epa website. However I am not exactly sure what epas regulations and rulings on these are.

Ok, yes, I see that EPA calls those biopesticides and might show up as noted in the document as a pesticide producer. There appear to not be any pesticides or biopesticides registered to UWC or it’s epa company number, although I’m not sure how fast those show up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do you think bacteria are regulated as pesticides?
I didn't say bacteria were pesticides. According to the regulations I read months ago (and I think I posted) - any product that is designed to kill algae, etc etc is considered a pesticide - and needs to be registered with the FDA. For example - let's say there was a product designed to kill bees by spraying them with a pathogenic bacteria, that would be considered a 'pesticide'. Thus again, my interpretation, any product - including (so-called) 'natural means of control, i.e. bacteria, etc) is considered a 'pesticide'.

Note - again - not trying to debate the veracity of any testing - only that there do not seem to be any violations per the EPA inspection in May. I happened to see your other post - so thought this was an interesting update.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say bacteria were pesticides. According to the regulations I read months ago (and I think I posted) - any product that is designed to kill algae, etc etc is considered a pesticide - and needs to be registered with the FDA. For example - let's say there was a product designed to kill bees by spraying them with a pathogenic bacteria, that would be considered a 'pesticide'. Thus again, my interpretation, any product - including (so-called) 'natural means of control, i.e. bacteria, etc) is considered a 'pesticide'.

Note - again - not trying to debate the veracity of any testing - only that there do not seem to be any violations per the EPA inspection in May. I happened to see your other post - so thought this was an interesting update.

I have no idea what sort of violations show up at all, how soon they show up, or if the inspection and final result are complete.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use Vibrant how you would use API Algaefix, since they are the same product essentially.

No need to bin it, but just know that it's an algaecide and use it accordingly, if at all.

UWC has yet to respond to any of this publicly.

Ok, then...so how do you use API Algaefix? :)

The reason I ask is this: About 8 months ago I had a turf algae problem that I was dealing with. I chose to try vibrant at the time, and it seemed to be working rather well for me. I decided to buy a second bottle having almost finished the first. Right around that time, I saw the thread on here about Vibrant. I'm not even sure why, but I don't think I would have tried the product if I had thought it was an algaecide.

So now, 8 months later, I'm developing an algae problem again. And I've got a full bottle of Vibrant just sitting there. To dose or not to dose? That is what I am wondering.

Long term I think I can adjust my feeding regimen a bit to reduce algae (I actually like a little of it, and my cleanup crew does as well), but I'm getting tempted to pull out the Vibrant I purchased.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The reason I ask is this: About 8 months ago I had a turf algae problem that I was dealing with. I chose to try vibrant at the time, and it seemed to be working rather well for me. I decided to buy a second bottle having almost finished the first. Right around that time, I saw the thread on here about Vibrant. I'm not even sure why, but I don't think I would have tried the product if I had thought it was an algaecide.

So now, 8 months later, I'm developing an algae problem again. And I've got a full bottle of Vibrant just sitting there. To dose or not to dose? That is what I am wondering.

Long term I think I can adjust my feeding regimen a bit to reduce algae (I actually like a little of it, and my cleanup crew does as well), but I'm getting tempted to pull out the Vibrant I purchased.

^^^ I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone has a comment on the above.

After a longish vacation, I returned to a tank with a hair and turf algae outbreak. I applied some bow grease for manual removal and, long term, need to figure out a strategy to reduce/export nutrients to solve the algae problem.

But, I do still have a unopened bottle of Algaefix Vibrant and am tempted to use it to reduce the current outbreak. Any cautions on using the product with our new understanding of what it really is? It has already been used in my tank and seemed to work well last time.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little bit of info... like I said below, more in a few days.
I'll have some more detailed info on what to expect if using these in a few days, but quickly....

Algaefix_DinoX_day44.png

(chart: Algaefix dosed every 3 days and DinoX dosed every 2 days, per bottles)
Upon first use these polyquats seems to bind out of the water over a day or two. With recurring doses they can accumulate in the water where they slowly decrease over a number of weeks. Fresh GAC - added on day 40 in above chart - can rapidly remove them from the water.

RichardinTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s obviously been some time since all of this has come to light, and most (aquarium) companies have dropped the product, however I still see that UWC has not changed any claims on their website. They still list the ingredients of the product as 95% bacteria with no mention of the algaecide. How is this legal?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s obviously been some time since all of this has come to light, and most (aquarium) companies have dropped the product, however I still see that UWC has not changed any claims on their website. They still list the ingredients of the product as 95% bacteria with no mention of the algaecide. How is this legal?
You made me curious so I just checked 5 different stores in my area (Toronto), all have it and in stock.

RichardinTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made me curious so I just checked 5 different stores in my area (Toronto), all have it and in stock.
It’s also still available through Amazon. Still being sold as a “bacterial” product. I don’t understand how that’s possible, especially after the EPA inspection.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s also still available through Amazon. Still being sold as a “bacterial” product. I don’t understand how that’s possible, especially after the EPA inspection.
I know UWC declared that there was an inspection and @MnFish1 posted some EPA links regarding UWC earlier in this thread that are indeterminant at best. 'no data records returned' is not reassuringly thorough.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been no update from UWC, but the two most recent events are:

1. As of May 19, 2022, UWC is listed by the EPA as a registered "pesticide producer":

2. They told me on Aug 10, 2022 that they still hoped to post their side of the story, but as of that date they said "At this point, we are not able to make any public posts"

RichardinTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been no update from UWC, but the two most recent events are:

1. As of May 19, 2022, UWC is listed by the EPA as a registered "pesticide producer":

2. They told me on Aug 10, 2022 that they still hoped to post their side of the story, but as of that date they said "At this point, we are not able to make any public posts"
That’s all well and good from a PR standpoint but my concern is regarding the legal precedent this is setting. Whether or not a statement is ever made is irrelevant in my opinion. I’d like to understand how a product can be labeled and marketed as something it is patently not. I assumed that there are laws against that and a way to report such things but I may also be horribly naive.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s all well and good from a PR standpoint but my concern is regarding the legal precedent this is setting. Whether or not a statement is ever made is irrelevant in my opinion. I’d like to understand how a product can be labeled and marketed as something it is patently not. I assumed that there are laws against that and a way to report such things but I may also be horribly naive.

I cannot comment on legalities as I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have an understanding of what transpired with the EPA.

Mateusz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Its a small hobby, probably not enough to interest them to come down on what appears to be some maintenance guy local in minnesota that was just relabeling api algaefix...

I remember using this stuff and having massive problems with it nuking out my corals, fluconazole was such a better option for me anyways.

I feel like alot of additives i see for sale or miracle bottles are deceptive, and that all started with vibrant, for myself. Eventually i realized i was fooled to believe somehow this small time guy managed to find a "bacteria blend" that nuked algae out that major manufacturers like seachem couldnt do just dawned on me. I suspected it was something like this, its sad to see the stuff is still sold, but some people have sworn by it. Either way its deceptive and dishonest and is clear why i had such issues looking back.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the EPA website - searching using their tool - it states that in the zip code listed, there are no 'current violations'. Whatever that means I'm not sure. It is still available for sale on several websites. The website of its creator has not changed that I can see.
There are no current violations because UWC is now listed by the EPA as a pesticide producer and Vibrant is not currently being sold (by UWC, everything you find out there is old stock) - so there's no active labeling violation.

Mateusz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
There are no current violations because UWC is now listed by the EPA as a pesticide producer and Vibrant is not currently being sold (by UWC, everything you find out there is old stock) - so there's no active labeling violation.
Thats good to know at least its not actively sold anymore. Id love to hear what vibrants side of the story is, when the truth is they blatantly lied to all of us.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%

Back