Vibrant? w Carbon dosing and fallow on bubble algae

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed they are the same. More curious on overall consensus of impact to livestock in already ULNS systems from either or any similar product. Clearly it doesn’t kill things on its own, or else this wouldn’t be a discussion. So trying to understand the best way to handle it.

I’ve done well with flatworm exit. It’s had both positive and negative comments.
I’ve used chemiclean. It’s great too
I’ve used bergias. Haven’t seen an aiptasia in months.

These solutions work well when done properly and sometimes it is just luck and persistence. But if there’s a good method to the madness, that is what I am after. Or maybe the risk to reward isn’t worth it.
My nutrients increased

No more chaeto and killing all the algae is a lot of phosphates and nitrates not being consumed and being released

I can’t imagine ULNS would be a side effect of vibrant. Quite the opposite.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nutrients increased

No more chaeto and killing all the algae is a lot of phosphates and nitrates not being consumed and being released

I can’t imagine ULNS would be a side effect of vibrant. Quite the opposite.

I agree. Dosing vibrant would not be expected to drop nutrients in any scenario that I can think of.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I started at 1/4 the recommended dose for clean tanks. 12ml for 500g. And I’ll ramp up slowly if things look decent until I hit 50ml dosed in two weeks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I started at 1/4 the recommended dose for clean tanks. 12ml for 500g. And I’ll ramp up slowly if things look decent until I hit 50ml dosed in two weeks.

How is it going?

Be careful to not get a result like this:

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going?

Be careful to not get a result like this:

That thread is insane

* Eyeballed dosing of Algaecide
* Bottomed out nitriate/phosphate (how?)

None of this was my experience.

Suffice it to say, this is why I stick to Vibrant and just use the dosing guidelines which are pretty strict.

Very small amounts, once per week.

Nitrate/Phosphate climbed because algae wasn't there to consume it.

As an aside, the only thing I've ever introduced to my tank which straight up killed multiple corals was peroxide. I don't recommend trying to blast jets of peroxide right into your tank on algae patches

It doesn't work that great, but some corals can and will be killed by it. Candy Canes and chalices in particular didn't like it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of this was my experience.

Glad you have not experienced that downside.

If you kill a lot of algae, and open up real estate, dinos taking over is something to be sure to avoid.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would killing algae do anything other than free up Nitrate/Phosphate?

It opens up real estate, and if something else grows rapidly on that real estate, nutrients might drop.

But in the link I posted, it was caused by the reefer:

4. I was running about 4 types of nutrient export to get rid of the phosphates that I knew the algae would release when killed (GFO, Purigen, Skimmer, Refugium)
5. Bottomed out Po4 & No3
6. Dinoflagelate explosion

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It opens up real estate, and if something else grows rapidly on that real estate, nutrients might drop.

But in the link I posted, it was caused by the reefer:

4. I was running about 4 types of nutrient export to get rid of the phosphates that I knew the algae would release when killed (GFO, Purigen, Skimmer, Refugium)
5. Bottomed out Po4 & No3
6. Dinoflagelate explosion
Agree this is absolutely what not to do in any reef. That is. Too many things too quick and not understanding. As it should be obvious and by posts on here, nutrients are good. Excess nutrients are bad. Understand the problem. Then Fix the problem.

Regarding my current trial.
11/4 - added 12ml vibrant/algaefix
11/6 - added 12 ml vibrant

Will observe for 1 week. Then will add 12 and 12 again. To put me at 50ml.
Then will observe for 2 weeks.
At this time the fallow period will be complete and I will have added the 35 fish to the tank and remove the nitrate dosing. I will do a couple no3 po4 tests in this time.

That will be interesting. Hopefully no big surprises and everything is perfect as usual

Hossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer OPs question

I used Vibrant back in June to wipe out a GHA problem that I could not get under control using any other measures.

I followed the dosing guidelines, and after 6 weeks, my algae problem was gone.

All of my corals were fine and I had no issues due to vibrant

It will kill your chaeto so you have to toss that out and start over when you're ready for that.

My snails were all fine.

I don't know how Vibrant compares to Algaefix. I honestly don't care because I'm not willing to take the gamble by doing substitutions on my reef tank.

I have no GHA at all in my DT anymore, and very small amounts on my fuge rocks but it's overwhelmingly covered by my giant chaeto mat.
Did you dose normal doses? I will be starting Monday and o have the saltwater vibrant which o read you just do half as much for the reef tank. I wa also thing to break that up into a 5 day dose to get started.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose normal doses? I will be starting Monday and o have the saltwater vibrant which o read you just do half as much for the reef tank. I wa also thing to break that up into a 5 day dose to get started.

You are aware that vibrant is a registered chemical pesticide and not bacteria, as is falsely claimed in the label?

It is beyond me why anyone would use it. Even folks wanting to use that chemical ought to buy it from companies that are up front about the bottle ingredients.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did strictly prescribed doses because I've heard really bad things can happen if you overdose.

As a result, it will take a few weeks to see any benefits.

But it was the one thing that wiped out a massive GHA problem that would not be controlled any other way.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it was the one thing that wiped out a massive GHA problem that would not be controlled any other way.

If you really want to use that chemical pesticide, Algaefix has the exact same ingredient and does not try to trick you into believing it is something different, as Vibrant does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still on the vibrant. Still have bubble algae. It’s still growing. Snails don’t seem to be loving life. Squamosa clam is fine. Nutrients are low. New octopus handled it fine.

Haven’t been as good at keeping up with dosing and cautious. Haven’t exceed 50ml in a 2 week period. Now up to 600g tank volume.

Will continue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still on the vibrant. Still have bubble algae. It’s still growing. Snails don’t seem to be loving life. Squamosa clam is fine. Nutrients are low. New octopus handled it fine.

Haven’t been as good at keeping up with dosing and cautious. Haven’t exceed 50ml in a 2 week period. Now up to 600g tank volume.

Will continue.

Why? Seriously, why are you doing this?

You are adding a harsh chemical that can kill organisms like molluscs, it is not working for killing your algae, your snails are responding negatively, and you keep doing it?

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails are alive I just feel like there should be more of them. I have some algae. Maybe they are being picked off or didn’t ship well.

Well Randy, Overall I’ve heard it takes a long time for vibrant to work on bubble algae… and I have noticed that they do go white but I think I need to do more manual removal through some water changes with 3/8” rigid tube.

Haven’t had any issues. Just wish my snails would work better. I still don’t clean the glass more than once every two weeks. Corals are growing. Fish are alive. No cyano or diatoms.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algaefix has been around much longer than Vibrant. It's not a cheap substitute for Vibrant. Vibrant is an expensive substitute for Algaefix. That said, I wouldn't use either.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know they lied about it not being an algaecide but then it was an algaecide. But I already have it so maybe we don’t get held up on the ethics of business in the world considering we all use fossil fuels to power our tanks and lots of animals die from the industry.
What . That is the most bizarre statement I've ever heard .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back