Video: Resetting an overgrown reef

Docpayne82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching this video and just imagined how much calcium had been dosed over the years to help build those amazing skeletons! Really like the look when the rescape was finished though.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 400g got too full, the colonies were growing right out of the tank so to speak. So I flew in a buddy and we attacked it. Here's the video from that day, as well as follow up eye candy of how things look now.

Oh man, it’s time to get some eye candy in there. If I may suggest, a red planet colony would look gorgeous in that tank.

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watched the video last night. crazy how big some of those were. tank looks nice and clean now though.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, it’s time to get some eye candy in there. If I may suggest, a red planet colony would look gorgeous in that tank.
I used to have a really nice piece of that, but lost it when my tank leaked back in 2012. I need to get a new piece, I agree.

Insane320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the new look the old corals definitely needed to go. What a great job you did growing them to the size they were.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you did was pretty drastic, but since you went that far, I would continue further and try a different scape instead of the rock wall.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you did was pretty drastic, but since you went that far, I would continue further and try a different scape instead of the rock wall.
Thanks for the feedback. It's not really a wall. It's two horseshoes. Nothing touches the back.

fts-101817-35mm.jpg

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks a million times better. I'm a frag aholic and will make room for anything so I'm the complete opposite of you. I trade it frags at my lfs and get store credit. My goal is to get enough store credit so I can upgrade to a larger aquarium. lol

M007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your video was fun to watch and made an excellent point, there comes a time to rip it down and redecorate if not for personal pleasure then for the health of the corals. IMHO it takes about 3 to 5 years for a home reef to become balanced. In that time reefers do this and that to create the "ultimate" reef, some fail, some achieve mediocrity, and a few achieve a truely balanced reef that just about anything from the sea will thrive in. It looks like you've achieved the latter and moving forward your rebooted home reef will become an even better beautiful thing to enjoy. I look forward to watching.....

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think it could use a better use of negative space.

The easiest and quickest way to do this is to remove as much stuff as you can from the sand.

I think the layout will also improve if you manage to create larger differences in height. Looking at the last picture, there's almost an horizontal line in the top of the structure.

In what concerns the placement of the corals, a way to increase the harmony is to make sure that each of the neighbors of a coral is both similar and contrasting is different aspects. Similar in color and contrasting in structure or vice versa. 2 montiporas of different colors go well together or a blue montipora and a blue acropora.

If you have 1 or 2 showpieces that you want to make pop, you can place them surrounded by fully contrasting corals. A sarcophyton can be turned into a showpiece if you place it in front of a blue montipora, blue acropora and blue anemone.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back