Video: Resetting an overgrown reef

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Marc, what’s your perspective on your friend from Las Vegas belief on rearranging once a year. Seems drastic, but after all of this do you think it’s something you’ll do?

The “wait, let me look at it one more time” before the carnage commenced, priceless!

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Marc, what’s your perspective on your friend from Las Vegas belief on rearranging once a year. Seems drastic, but after all of this do you think it’s something you’ll do?

The “wait, let me look at it one more time” before the carnage commenced, priceless!

I doubt I'll carve into it annually. Easier to fly Duane in and look the other way. lol And yeah, I had to get one last good stare before it was forever changed. :)

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stunning after tank.....can I ask how long had the tank been left to grow before you decided to cut back ? How much calcium did you dose ??

I have a few monti frags but NOTHING like yours were....wow

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why im not a huge fan of plating corals. Most grow fast abd can shade out anything nearby. But the really are beautiful.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stunning after tank.....can I ask how long had the tank been left to grow before you decided to cut back ? How much calcium did you dose ??

I have a few monti frags but NOTHING like yours were....wow

The reef is just shy of 4 years old, so they've been doing their thing for a while now. I use a calcium reactor 24/7.

Here's three pictures of the tank two years ago.

fts-left.jpg

fts-middle.jpg

fts-right-end.jpg

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef is just shy of 4 years old, so they've been doing their thing for a while now. I use a calcium reactor 24/7.

Here's three pictures of the tank two years ago.

fts-left.jpg

fts-middle.jpg

fts-right-end.jpg

Curious to know what your Alk / Cal consumption was on the tank right before the ''refreshing'' and what it dropped to afterward ??
Looks nice by the way, I know it can be hard to do such a thing and sometimes harder than having a crash of sorts though it is needed to keep the health of the critters we keep. Pruning corals once they reach a good mature size for the tank they are housed in is a good thing plus you get to share your slice of the ocean with others and this ensures your reef survives in a sense.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back