Video: Rimless vs Eurobrace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We recently installed a eurobrace on Becka's rimless tank. In this video she goes over the pros and cons of both rimless aquariums and eurobraced aquariums.

Which type of tank do you have? Rimless? Eurobrace?

Last edited:

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 75EXT that I have thought about adding some bracing to. Not sure how necessary it is in terms of safety though. I have seen all the stuff about Red Sea tanks and their problems but very few about IM.

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I appreciate Tidal Gardens, they mentioned how having egg crate on top of the display tank reduces light into the tank. That was studied by BRS and was found not to be entirely accurate. BRS conducted the study with screening, not egg crate to be completely up front. The study determined that little to no difference with the different sizes of mesh in PAR. Just thought I should share in case anyone does not like the look of euro bracing, the lower water line, and maintenance. I also like the idea of having a cover over the entire tank to prevent unfortunate losses of our pets.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 Gallon Rimless without Euro Bracing, very clean look. But, that is thrown out with the Plastic Clips, and Glass Top. No matter how careful I am, cleaning the inside glass, I get Saltwater running down and onto my cabinet. On my 120 Gallon, it’s Euro Braced, it does take a little more effort to clean the inside glass, but no Saltwater gets on the outside glass. My Preference is Euro Brace, but I would never add the Bracing to an existing tank, and change it’s structure.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I appreciate Tidal Gardens, they mentioned how having egg crate on top of the display tank reduces light into the tank. That was studied by BRS and was found not to be entirely accurate. BRS conducted the study with screening, not egg crate to be completely up front. The study determined that little to no difference with the different sizes of mesh in PAR. Just thought I should share in case anyone does not like the look of euro bracing, the lower water line, and maintenance. I also like the idea of having a cover over the entire tank to prevent unfortunate losses of our pets.
This is false. Mesh screens cut down on par quite a bit. Color makes no difference. I specifically tested the 1/4” clear mesh screen from BRS using an Apogee 510 meter and it reduced par by 50.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mesh screen and eggcrate are very different so it’s weird you would discount what Tidal says based on some unrelated info. Eggcrate is 1/2“ tall and absolutely blocks light from alot of angled penetration. Look at it from a 45° and see how much of your vision it blocks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back