Vinegar dosing

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I'm trying to switch from nopox to vinegar for my carbon dosing. Nopox has been going great for me but obviously more costly. Would just like some info on how to go about vinegar dosing. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would transition over a week or so from the NOPOX you are using now to maybe 5x as much vinegar (5% acetic acid or 5% acidity). SO if you dose 1 mL NOPOX per day, maybe try 5 mL of vinegar.

A dosing pump spread out through the light cycle is best (IMO), but manual dosing is OK. Dose in the late AM or early afternoon (if possible) and to eliminate the pH drop on addition, I would (and did) add enough calcium hydroxide to the vinegar so that no more dissolved and some settled out on the bottom).

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to eliminate the pH drop on addition, I would (and did) add enough calcium hydroxide to the vinegar so that no more dissolved and some settled out on the bottom

What do you end up with when you mix vinegar and calcium hydroxide? I assume it leaves the carbon from the vinegar in some form that's still available to the bacteria.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back