Vinyl vs paint on the back glass?

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the look compare once filled with water? I've never tried using black vinyl. I've always masked everything off and used spray paint.

Does the vinyl tend to fall off or peel back?

Pictures would be much appreciated!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used spray paint years ago, never peeled or had any issue. If it ever scratches it would be easy to touch up. If vinyl scratches it would all have to be redone.

I’m thinking during a tank move from one location to another. Or reaching behind the tank with a watch or ring on

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use latex and roll it on. It can scratch easy but is easily touched up. It also easy to scrape off later if you want to. I used spray paint before and needed to remove it to sell a tank and it was tough.
latex works well.i have used it and easy to remove and touch up, peels off.

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A product called Plasti-dip works very well. You can either spray it or brush it on. Hardware stores carry it.
Does it make as much mess as normal spraypaint? Does it stink?

I'm trying to avoid using spraypaint because it's too cold outside here to use it right now, and it makes my apartment t stink for days if I do it inside. No to mention turning everything in the room black.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it make as much mess as normal spraypaint? Does it stink?
I've done wheels with it once and it's some cools stuff. Holds up great yet is easy to remove. It comes in spray and liquid. I have only used the spray. It is not something I would do indoors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use latex and roll it on. It can scratch easy but is easily touched up. It also easy to scrape off later if you want to. I used spray paint before and needed to remove it to sell a tank and it was tough.
Did you use any special type of roller? I tried rolling a piece of glass once and all the roller did was slide back and forth and kind of smear the paint around. It wouldn't roll for me.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Black latex paint and a paint roller works best. Several light coats, let dry in between. The first coat or two will look bad but will look great once done and can be removed later easily if wanted.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use any special type of roller? I tried rolling a piece of glass once and all the roller did was slide back and forth and kind of smear the paint around. It wouldn't roll for me.

Too much paint on the roller?

Foam roller is better for smooth glass than a thick nap roller.
^this^
Very light coats with to start. If it slides just start smearing it all over till the brush starts to dry and you'll feel it. Each coat is a tack coat for the next. It takes quite a few coats to cover.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How does the look compare once filled with water? I've never tried using black vinyl. I've always masked everything off and used spray paint.

Does the vinyl tend to fall off or peel back?

Pictures would be much appreciated!
I've done paint many times and while it's a pita, it works.
My last 2 tanks have come from the same tank builder and he use the vinyl.
One tank is 10 years old and the other 5 years old and both vinyl backs are in perfect shape.
No peeling.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go vinyl route, pick up a small bottle of rapic tac II, makes application super easy. I like vinyl because you can remove "easier" if needed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back