Vinyl Wrapped Aquarium

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever wrapped their aquarium? I had a thought of wrapping an aquarium transparent yellow to counteract the blue lights kind of like permanent reef glasses. Anyone ever done this or have any thoughts on this?
1709912100167.png

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrapped my old aquarium’s unit that it sat on and the plastic trim which surrounded it, it was just a colour change from black to white and it held up fine.
Never did the glass, though I can see your thinking lol
Maybe a removable orange tint panel could be made up to save it being permanent

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go out of way and buy blue lights. Go out of way again to wrap tank so lights don’t look blue…

Any reason for not just adjusting colour balance of your fixture? Years ago I had a cube tank in guest bedroom that I wrapped in tint to cut down on light spill, ie not make the whole room look like **** lighting. Held up fine for years. Tint and vinyl can both be easily removed.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go out of way and buy blue lights. Go out of way again to wrap tank so lights don’t look blue…

Any reason for not just adjusting colour balance of your fixture? Years ago I had a cube tank in guest bedroom that I wrapped in tint to cut down on light spill, ie not make the whole room look like **** lighting. Held up fine for years. Tint and vinyl can both be easily removed.
I like the vibrant colors when those are added together. With white lights you just don't get the same colors.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the vibrant colors when those are added together. With white lights you just don't get the same colors.
Should be able to push enough ultraviolet to get corals to fluoresce under what is considered white light if you fiddle with it enough. Either way tint will work fine. Several big name companies sell contrast films that do exactly what you’re trying to do.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be able to push enough ultraviolet to get corals to fluoresce under what is considered white light if you fiddle with it enough. Either way tint will work fine. Several big name companies sell contrast films that do exactly what you’re trying to do.
Interesting, I'm not looking to do it to my tank for the time being. Was more just curious if people had done it and if it worked.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not the 1st to think of this. I toyed with the idea and put a filter on the back panel of my tank.

Unfortunately it looked horrible 90% of the time and only looked decent with just the blues.

It was a good thought, with zero practicality.

Here are some photos of it draped over the front panel.

20240218_204748.jpg

20240218_184917.jpg

Nothing natural about that look.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not the 1st to think of this. I toyed with the idea and put a filter on the back panel of my tank.

Unfortunately it looked horrible 90% of the time and only looked decent with just the blues.

It was a good thought, with zero practicality.

Here are some photos of it draped over the front panel.

20240218_204748.jpg

20240218_184917.jpg

Nothing natural about that look.
Yeah lol not the look I was expecting... Looks like its in a tank of slime.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah lol not the look I was expecting... Looks like its in a tank of slime.
That's a good way to describe it.

It's not the same as looking though orange glasses. Seldom do we look at the tank in its entirety, we're using looking right at corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back