Viparspectra 165 setup

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 55 gallon tank 55x14x22 with a center brace. I currently have a clown and a ricordea mushroom and plan on working my way up to LPS and maybe some hardier SPS if I don’t upgrade my tank before then.

I have 2 viparspectra 165’s arriving on Wednesday and curious on best set up! I’ve seen a lot of recommendations but none for a tank similar to mine!

how high should I mount them? What settings should I use? Anything special I should know? Thanks in advance!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wrong post

Last edited:

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to mount on either end of the tank - with alternate flow - and place them higher in the tank as compared to lower
The question was actually about lights not power heads.

OP - my answer is actually very similar but I put them over the tank instead of in :)

I ran a 55 for a couple years with two lights like this and loved it. I mounted mine about 15 inches over the water centered on each side of the brace.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OP - my answer is actually very similar but I put them over the tank instead of in :)

I ran a 55 for a couple years with two lights like this and loved it. I mounted mine about 15 inches over the water centered on each side of the brace.
HAHAH My bad - somehow I misread Maxspect Gyre.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mine are mounted in a canopy about 16 inches above the water. The whites are VERY BRIGHT on these lights...I have my lights set 30% Channel 1 & only 1% Channel 2. It certainly will be dependent on what you're growing and your color preference. I am running a mixed tank with good results from these lights, I do however supplement with t5 lighting as well. Best of luck :)

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine mounted with shelf brackets. I have a security camera tv mounted above the tank, so I couldn't go any higher. Mine is 7" above the water, and turned way down low. I only run 5% blues right now.

Attachments

• 20211122_073050.jpg
    20211122_073050.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 90

deeco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 55 gallon tank 55x14x22 with a center brace. I currently have a clown and a ricordea mushroom and plan on working my way up to LPS and maybe some hardier SPS if I don’t upgrade my tank before then.

I have 2 viparspectra 165’s arriving on Wednesday and curious on best set up! I’ve seen a lot of recommendations but none for a tank similar to mine!

how high should I mount them? What settings should I use? Anything special I should know? Thanks in advance!
Interested to know where you purchased , I cannot find anywhere in Europe

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The height has been my main concern, as well as the best way to mount them. The settings I’ve been told is more of a “start here and see how corals respond” type of thing

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are mounted in a canopy about 16 inches above the water. The whites are VERY BRIGHT on these lights...I have my lights set 30% Channel 1 & only 1% Channel 2. It certainly will be dependent on what you're growing and your color preference. I am running a mixed tank with good results from these lights, I do however supplement with t5 lighting as well. Best of luck :)
Any ideas on mounting without a canopy? The settings you told me seem to be pretty in line with what I’ve read so that’s probably what I will start with! I only have the clown and the ricordea so they should be hardy enough for me to get it right

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine mounted with shelf brackets. I have a security camera tv mounted above the tank, so I couldn't go any higher. Mine is 7" above the water, and turned way down low. I only run 5% blues right now.
The shelf idea is my favorite so far! Thankfully I have a little more room than 7 inches!! Nice set up!

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to know where you purchased , I cannot find anywhere in Europe
I sniped these on eBay! Pretty much 2 for the price of 1, a little more after tax! Wasn’t too sure whether I wanted these or to save up for something nicer but this was a heck of a deal that I couldn’t pass up so I jumped when I saw it

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The height has been my main concern, as well as the best way to mount them. The settings I’ve been told is more of a “start here and see how corals respond” type of thing
I already had a wood hood so I just screwed in two L-shaped aluminium railings to set the lights on. I would run them 40% blue and 20% white to start and then slowly increase every month. My old black boxes I eventually got up to 100/60 after 3-4 years and those were only 7 inches above the water. It blows my mind some of these guys can keep corals alive with the low power light settings they use. Must be doing some serious dosing. I do zero dosing so I rely on light for coral growth.

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already had a wood hood so I just screwed in two L-shaped aluminium railings to set the lights on. I would run them 40% blue and 20% white to start and then slowly increase every month. My old black boxes I eventually got up to 100/60 after 3-4 years and those were only 7 inches above the water. It blows my mind some of these guys can keep corals alive with the low power light settings they use. Must be doing some serious dosing. I do zero dosing so I rely on light for coral growth.
Thankfully I only have a mushroom currently! I will be experimenting with light quite a bit I’m sure!!

Wolf94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonjour

J'ai 3x165w sur un tank de 150cm et 50 de hauteur d'eau.
les rampes sont placées à 20cm de l'eau.

pour le soft, quelle valeur dois-je mettre les blancs et les bleus ?

en France, j'ai lu que les blancs sont à 40 ou 50%, pourquoi c'est si différent ici ?

merci pour les paramètres, je suis perdu.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bonjour

J'ai 3x165w sur un tank de 150cm et 50 de hauteur d'eau.
les rampes sont placées à 20cm de l'eau.

pour le soft, quelle valeur dois-je mettre les blancs et les bleus ?

en France, j'ai lu que les blancs sont à 40 ou 50%, pourquoi c'est si différent ici ?

merci pour les paramètres, je suis perdu.
I might suggest you post in English? It depends on your PAR readings and your personal preference. I like more white. Others like more blue. Bon nuit:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Wolf94 By the way - welcome to R2R

CleanRiversDirtRoads

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Zach. Do you mind if I ask what corals you are growing? I just setup my tank with a viparspectra and I’m new to reefing so I was hoping to duplicate the setting you used depending on what you are growing.
I’m hoping to grow most/all beginner corals like GSP, Zoa, toadstool, Goni, montipora and Xenia and maybe a nem for the clowns.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the consensus that mount them high, start low, and adjust to fit. The mushroom won't really be an adequate indicator of proper intensity. My mushrooms would grow in a block of concrete on the moon lol.

It has been 6 months since you started this thread... Any updates?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey Zach. Do you mind if I ask what corals you are growing? I just setup my tank with a viparspectra and I’m new to reefing so I was hoping to duplicate the setting you used depending on what you are growing.
I’m hoping to grow most/all beginner corals like GSP, Zoa, toadstool, Goni, montipora and Xenia and maybe a nem for the clowns.
Sorry for the delay. I have a 150g mixed reef tank with about 30 or so sps and close to 100 or so other corals including zoas, mushrooms & a lot of lps:) I also run a nem tank with non reef safe fish under the same lights. Feel free to send me a message with any questions! Best of luck!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%

Back