Viparspectra 165watt, Anyone using these?

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Jimmy I have 55 gallon reef aquarium how many of the Viparspectra light I need I have two of them I have them set at whites 20% and blues at 80% is that ok
Yeah 2 should be fine. How hi are they from the water line?

Brent Harpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 2 of these for my 75.. I see people are still running them I was curious as to what some of your guys timers and intensity levels are? I currently have the blues at 20% running 730am-730pm. I have whites set at 10% running 830am-630pm.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 2 of these for my 75.. I see people are still running them I was curious as to what some of your guys timers and intensity levels are? I currently have the blues at 20% running 730am-730pm. I have whites set at 10% running 830am-630pm.
Hi I'm now running 68 blue from 14.00-2300 and 25 white 15.00-22.00 so blues on thier own an hour either side. I'll post an up to date photo later as need to clean the glass first as it's been over a week now and having to soak my glass cleaner to get coraline algae off.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome thanks! im really liking them so far and my only coral seems to like it way more than the last light I had
Just be careful not to crank them up too high too fast. I am working mine back up to these settings over a period of a month because I'm an idiot and decided that as 90% of my corals were thriving I thought I'd turn them down to a lower setting to see if it would help my frogspawn coral but all that has done is p off my red montipora digi. So it's going back to where it was happier. I'm aiming for 80/25 blue to white. Can i ask what coral is it you have? And do you have a shot of your set up? I've cleaned my glass and just waiting for the water to clear then il pop up a pic.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picks tonight 8/2/19
DSC_2215.JPG
DSC_2213.JPG
DSC_2214.JPG

Brent Harpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nuclear green palythoa. Its a fairly new tank (couple months) so I'm adding things slowly so I don't crash my tank. I did that once in the freshwater side and that was enough rushing for me as it was a crash with discus.

Its also my first saltwater tank. I have a yellow tang and 2 clowns in the tank and I see copepods all over the glass without only putting in a couple pieces of live rock. I have dry in it as well so it was nice to have the copepods as a hitchhiker on my live rock.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. All I can say is please take it slow as nothing good happens fast in this hobby, even if you think you've waited long enough, you haven't.
Learn from all the mistakes others have made to save you some heart ache and wanting to leave this hard work but very rewarding hobby. I wish you all the best going forward, it will have its ups and downs but reef2reef are here to help.

Chas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one for my 40g frag tank. Lights up the front AND the built in sump.

But, I do have questions. Are the blues supposed to remain on unless you turn them off? Nowhere in the tiny manual does it tell me how to adjust the blues and whites. I only get directions to adjust the power % of the lights as a whole and how to control Ch 1 and Ch 2 (on/off times, power for each).

So any help would be GREAT. Also all I had to do was use ceiling drywall anchors. Got some parachute cord because the wiring harness that came w it wasn't long enough. Simple.

Now all I have to do is get my egg crate in there, but realize I need legs for it. Wondering if any of you just use the egg crate to make the legs or if you use something else?

Thanks,

Chas

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To adjust it you press the knob/dial on the front ch1 is blue percentage 0-100 turn the knob to the percentage you want then press the knob again to set whites which is ch2 and adjust then press again for HSE then turn the knob on this to set clock and timers per channel just make sure when you have finished adjusting it you go back to hse on the screen else the timer won't work and the light will stay where you leave it. This is a bit vague I know but I'm not currently infront the light to say exactly but will give you an idea. Oh when on the timer setting wait for it to stop flashing before pressing the knob to move on else you sit there adjusting the same page. I think it goes clock,ch1on,ch1off,ch2on,ch2off,hse

musicreefer320

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we have an update on the tank? I just bought these lights myself! Your tank looks AWESOME!

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20190517-220257_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190517-220157_Gallery.jpg
Well currently the light is still growing most of my corals greatly after 2.5 years currently running 40 blue and 3 white.
I have had a problem with cyano for the last 6 months which killed off my red digi but didn't affect my other digi which I sorted but now have dinos. I have an imbalance of
nitrate to phosphate.
This is my current tank shot as of last night. The glass is filthy and the sand is brown but it's all part of the fun! In this hobby I'm currently away and won't get back to sort of until Monday evening. I'll put up a pic when I get back and get it sorted.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now back and this is a after a 3day blackout with a reduced photo period and settings of blue 25 and white 1 which I'll leave for another week. I'm still yet to clean the glass.
Screenshot_20190520-195140_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190520-195144_Gallery.jpg

Scott Dongier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g that is 24x16x16

For many reasons I can only have the night about 4” off the top glass.

Things are great at 75/10. My only issue is the corners don’t get as much as I would like. Is there a way to diffuse or but wider angle lens on there?

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g that is 24x16x16

For many reasons I can only have the night about 4” off the top glass.

Things are great at 75/10. My only issue is the corners don’t get as much as I would like. Is there a way to diffuse or but wider angle lens on there?
Hi, as far as I know no you can't put a wide angle lens on it but a diffuser is possible with light diffuser cut to size then double side taped on to the light. Also as the fitted lenses are 90 degree lenses removing them (which is really easy if you are happy opening the unit) would make it 120, but you won't get as much depth penetration but with a 16inch height shouldn't be a problem as they are powerful lights. the lenses are easy to refit if you don't like it. Just experiment with certain lenses on or off as in try with just the outer edge ones off and see if the spread is wide enough and go from there.

Could you post a pic of your tank and set up, for us to see?

ph123uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines now running with NO lenses at all, much better blending and less shadowing, because of this ive had to increase the intensity - I have also installed a reef-pi setup inside the light fixture itself so mine now is controllable and dims.

Acros are currently getting 300 Par in the tank on 100% blue and 25% white - just about ideal for me :)

IMG_20190524_114028.jpg IMG_20190524_124635.jpg

Back