Vitamin C dosing for zoanthids (I am clueless)

Discussion in 'Zoa Discussion (CLUB ZOA)' started by ficklefins, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Bokevince

Bokevince Active Member

Thanks my friend!

2. AMILLER400

AMILLER400 Member

I have suffered from melting zoas for over a year while all my other corals have done well. Just bought the buffered VC. Will update with before/after pics after using for 2/3 months.

3. AMILLER400

AMILLER400 Member

Thanks PufferPunk!
    I have suffered from melting zoas for over a year now, while all my other corals have done well. Just got the buffered VC you specified on iHerb.com $20 for 2 jars with free shipping! Was delivered in two days! I mixed my dose with RODI and slowly poured the clear mixture into the westside of my MP10. I will dose twice a day as specified and slowly up my dose if things look better until I get get my Zoas growing larger. Thanks for the detailed notes. I am optimistic. Included are some before pics from today. I will update with after pics after dosing for 2/3 months.

IMG_2739.JPG IMG_2740.JPG IMG_2741.JPG IMG_2742.JPG IMG_2743.JPG IMG_2744.JPG IMG_2745.JPG IMG_2746.JPG IMG_2748.JPG

Reefer40b likes this.
  4. Reefer40b

Reefer40b Active Member

I know you said you would update in 2/3 months time but any chance you could chime in to tell us how the first month went?

5. AMILLER400

AMILLER400 Member

I dosed VC accounting to the chart for about 2 weeks twice daily and saw little to no improvement. I am also dosing a small amount of nopox once and a while when needed and I don't know if it was the combination, but I had a small bacteria bloom. Basically my filter sock got clogged with clear slime and there was some slime floating around in my sump. I immediately stopped dosing the VC and did a couple preventative WC's to make sure my water was ok. I haven't dosed VC since and am still watching my zoas dissolve away. I have some other zoas and palys that are doing great, mostly palys, and I feel that some types just are more suited for my tank than others. I just can't come up with a cure for my melting zoas... I have a friend in the hobby who says he's having a similar problem. Zoas seem to be the hardest coral for me to keep in my mixed reef tank... I really thought the VC was going to be a game changer, but I saw little improvement in my zoas and I guess I started to feel the risks were outweighing the potential benefits. The largest potential improvement I saw was actually in my fish. Their color and energy seem to be the best I've seen. I think the VC may be a useful thing to have on hand when a fish is suffering from some type of illness to boost their immune system, but I will not be using it on a daily basis for now, nor at the levels I was dosing..which was 1.25TSP twice a day for my 100 gallon setup. If you are going to try dosing VC I highly recommend mixing it with RODI water first. I bought small plastic jars and pre-mixed doses and kept them in my fridge so dosing was easy and the powder was fully dissolved before entering my DT.

6. A. grandis

A. grandis Valuable Member

I had a great experience with vitamin C dosing in my 75gal. zoa tank! My system is already old, turning 10 years, and there is no need of any boost for growth and color. The vitamin C acted as a enrichment for the tank, regardless. I use only less than 1 ml., 3 times a week. When I stopped using it there was a noticeable change, and again when went back using it. To me Vitamin C is a proven benefit to the reef system. I might have to stop dosing cause my zoanthids are already growing out of the water!;Wideyed I've been fragging a lot and giving away to fellow hobbyists. Vitamin C is also great to help healing colonies and to start a new system. Adding less is better IMO!
    Grandis.

revhtree likes this.
  7. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

Read through the entire article. Interesting thread.

AnakinReefWalker, jsker and revhtree like this.
  8. AnakinReefWalker

AnakinReefWalker Active Member

Read through this a bit, seems worth a try, I figure it doesn't guarantee improved coral colours but I'm going to give this a shot. I have a few questions though, when dosing VC can I run carbon?
    Can I dose this directly into DT? My sump is set up this way Filter Floss --> Carbon --> Biological (Crushed Live Rock) --> Skimmer --> Return Pump, if I were to dose into my sump, at what stage would I put this stuff in?
    Thanks

9. A. grandis

Dose in the tank.
    No big deal.
    Grandis.

AnakinReefWalker likes this.
  10. Bokevince

Bokevince Active Member

Pufferpunk, when you says diluate in RO water, do we have to shake 20 seconds and then put in the sump or do we have to wait until the mix become orange????
    thanks!!!

11. AMILLER400

AMILLER400 Member

I just tried to wait until the crystals were fully dissolved when adding to the display tank. Pour the liquid into a high flow area. If you are adding to the sump, you probably don’t have to worry. The crystals will eventually dissolve after they sink to the bottom. If you don’t want to pre-mix the powder you could probably just dump it into the filter sock. GL!

Bokevince likes this.
  12. rosshamsandwich

rosshamsandwich Well-Known Member

a
    an

any updates?

13. A. grandis

a
    ab

about what?

14. rosshamsandwich

any updates on your dosing regimen?

15. A. grandis

Same. Has been for a while..

16. rosshamsandwich

still dosing vitamin C?

17. rosshamsandwich

how much are you dosing?

18. A. grandis

Same as published in the post #746.
    Grandis.

19. rosshamsandwich

do you have a thread on how to frag zoas?? and what did you mean by "less dosing is more"

20. A. grandis

No threads fragging, sorry. No mystery there too...
    Less dosing means gain more from it.
    Dosing too much can lead to problems with the excess IMO... No need...
    Start slow and see what happens. Observe.
    Grandis.

Draft saved Draft deleted