Vitamin C dosing for zoanthids (I am clueless)

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't "feed" my zoas but my palys eat quite well.

I also have a single colony that isn't doing well. I can't really blame it on anything at the moment, as my bulbs are looooong past due changing.

Last edited:

peterink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess i figured out the problem with my colony: it has white spots and is shrinking to its death.

I just moved them higher and to better flow area, hopefully will recover.

mofrags

stupid and happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone tried this while dosing with vodka? just wondering if the two would mess with eachother, but can't see why they would.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys finding any benefits in dosing Vitamin C with LPS and coralimorpharians (rics and yumas)? Or is it only beneficial with z's and p's.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! An added bonus I found was brighter colors & faster growth. My acans, brains, chalices, etc. are growing much bigger than before VC.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bit the bullet and ordered some on Wednesday! Ill be taking before picture probably this evening and post weekly so that I can properly track the progress and improvements. I have three different species or types of coral I will be closely watching for improvements.
I have a few zoo colonies, five specifically, that came out of my 120 disaster that have been in the new 24 for about two months now. They were the lone survivors of about 30+ morphs and over 2000+ polyps, so they are pretty dang rugged. There is nothing going on with them currently (disease etc.) other than just not opening. One colony did melt in to nothing but the others just are not looking happy, so we'll give this a shot.
Also looking to monitor the improvement in my clam that seems to have lost a little color in the move as well.
All my rics and yumas are flurishing, interested to see the impact the VC will have with there coloration and growth.

Now your opinion, how much do you think I should dose as I think I have a much smaller tank than you guys and your dosing table doesn't apply?

vetdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is suggested that we not use the C in tablet form. Too many fillers to deal with & it is not buffered, meaning it affects your pH & Alk. On the other hand--I used the tabs for about 3 months, before buying the pure, buffered VC. I'm sure the Walmart brand isn't any different than the Sam's Club brand I used. (Personally, I boycot Walmart though, because of their fishkeeping ppractices.)

Walmart owns Sam's Club

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes VD, I'm aware of that but Sam's doesn't sell fish.

ReeferR, How large is your tank? I add 1/4tsp to my 15g mantis shrimp tank.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to add my experience with Vitamin C.....A month back i was told that vitamin C might bring back my wilting Xenias.....for some reason they closed up and didnt bounce back for a while. So i tried the C and the xenias didnt do much but, a hitchhiker Zoa that i didnt even know about popped up on my live rock....i thought it was cool and continued dosing for a few weeks and now what started as 1 polyp has multipled into 10+ at least!!! They are an interesting orange speckled color (ironic). After more reseach i have found seaweed a nature form of iodine to be working better for the xenias....but i am sparingly using the C still and having nice results!!
BTW i use the Kent Marine C and continue to monitor my Alk, PH, and such

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes VD, I'm aware of that but Sam's doesn't sell fish.

ReeferR, How large is your tank? I add 1/4tsp to my 15g mantis shrimp tank.

Its a 24 gallon, soon to be adding a custom acrylic fug that will be 22 1/2 x 11 1/2 x 16 (not sure exact gallonage (is that even a word?))

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! Should arrive tomorrow, so expect the first round of pics Tuesday sometime! Later in the week I will be plumbing in the fug. I mentioned above, how should the dosage change?

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, started to dose today here are the pre pics to track the progression.
The Clam
VCCLAM520.jpg

The Pink Zoos
VCPINK520.jpg

Green Zoos
VC2520.jpg

Watermelons
VC3WATER.jpg

addicted2clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hiya!
I have a question in regards to VC.
I was wondering if with sps as i keep sps lps and zoas does the VC with help PE and more vibrant coloration for sps

Also I have a 30 gallon without sump what would be the proper starting dose of VC

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, LPS & SPS grow much faster & the colors are definately more vibrant. I got colored tips on some of my SPS I didn't even know I had.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been a week.
Day three was very cloudy (thats Friday by the way three days after Tuesday water change day) Tuesday also being the day dosage began. Very clear the next day, through this Tuesday. I only missed one dosage and I blame it on the Wings game.
I have noticed slightly better colorations in the rics, but not the "test" subjects. Zoos still look the same.
Should I increase dosage?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back