Vitamin dosing frozen food

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to dose vitamins to frozen foods? This morning I took the cube dropped some vita-chem on it then took some tank water and melted the cube in there then poured it into the tank. But I feel I just washed the vitamins back into the water and just dosed the water. Any methods any of you recommend? Should I forgo the frozen food method and dose the pellets at night instead?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Like you mentioned you are not getting the most from the vitamins by adding it to the frozen like that. The frozen food is already full of water preventing the vitamin from being absorbed, then you defrosted it in tank water further diluting it.

I like to add vitamin to pellet, flake, or Nori. If I do add to frozen I will defrost completely, drain the water, and pat dry with a paper towel. Then soak with vitamin for a bit. Even them I am not to sure how much is getting to the fish.

I use and like vitamins, but nothing beats a healthy diet meant for the fish you are feeding. it goes a long way.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Freeze dried mysis work well for me. I soak those in selcon or zoe

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Like you mentioned you are not getting the most from the vitamins by adding it to the frozen like that. The frozen food is already full of water preventing the vitamin from being absorbed, then you defrosted it in tank water further diluting it.

I like to add vitamin to pellet, flake, or Nori. If I do add to frozen I will defrost completely, drain the water, and pat dry with a paper towel. Then soak with vitamin for a bit. Even them I am not to sure how much is getting to the fish.

I use and like vitamins, but nothing beats a healthy diet meant for the fish you are feeding. it goes a long way.
I feed them Frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp in the morning and at night I feed them Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery Diet along with New Life Spectrum Thera+. Now that I have Tangs in there, I’m also adding New Life Spectrum Algaemax.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Add selcon to pellets or freeze dried foods. You won’t get wet food to absorb liquid because it’s already saturated.

If you feed fresh seafood (clams are great) I don’t think vitamins add much to it. Just my opinion though.

Mr Mumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

This is how I do it as well

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not get vitamins to stick to frozen or any wet food and there is no reason to add vitamins to frozen food.

Mr Mumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true! I’ve had success adding to frozen food. When you defrost it and squeeze the water out and soak in selcon the fish gets the benefits. I know cuz my tang was ugly and is now beautiful and the only thing I did for supplements is that.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me lazy but I probably won’t be doing that. I’ve been dosing the pellet food at night. I feed 2 different pellets. SA Hatchery Diet and NLS Algaemax. I dose about 4 drops to that so that all pellets are soaked, wait about a min then put it in the tank with the flow off. All the fish an inverts love it. Clowns, Wrasse, and Blenny love the Hatchery Diet more and the Tangs love the Algaemax more. Goby and inverts don’t care what they get. Color seems more vibrant on all of them.

OP
OP
JediCruz

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With eels i have heard of injecting it into frozen whole fish. Any idea how much?
Oof... I have no idea. Not sure what amount would good for that. I don’t have eels in my tank and I’ve never kept them. They are cool though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back