"Vitamin enriched food" for fire fish

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a firefish goby and everything I'm reading mentions feeding them vitamin enriched food to maintain their coloring. What is meant by that?
I have mysis shrimp, fish frenzy, TDO Chroma Boost, Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery Diet and New Life Spectrum Ultra Red.
I keep some thawed out mysis and fish frenzy, with a few drops of Selcon in my fridge and they get that every night. In the morning, they get something dry. Typically whichever bottle is closest to me (so long as it's not the same one every day.

I believe the Selcon helps with the nutrition (but I really don't know and to be honest, I feel like I'm feeding them calamine lotion). But, regardless, they have no shortage of variety in their diet, so I'm probably covered.

A little bit of trying to figure out what everyone means by 'vitamin enriched food' and the best I can come up with is adding Vitachem and frozen Blood worms.
My initial thought was to add blood worms and vitachem to my mysis/fish frenzy/selcon cocktail, but maybe that's overkill. Maybe I'm better off just waiting until I run out of something before adding another food.

PLUS, there's only one store in my area that has Oyster Feast, which I've been wanting to pick up, if they have the blood worms, I'll probably get the oyster feast too. And since I'm already there, I'll end up with another coral since it's a little tiny, itty bitty store with a good selection of really nice looking stuff and there's only one coral left in my invert QT at the moment.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a great selection. I would also consider adding a quality dry pellet food like New Life Spectrum. They have pellets as small as .5mm. It has been the primary food source in all my tanks for over 20 years. I use a mix of .5 and 1mm pellets. Everything gobbles them up.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your food is vitamin enriched. That reef frenzy is really wholesome. The the selcon would be the vitamins you speak of, which is good if you have questionable quality food but you have things like TDO LRS chroma boost. That’s the good stuff buddy.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I’ve learned from Paul B’s posts on nutrition, fish will benefit more from using fresh food vs retail boxed feed + vitamins.

fast food vs clean eaters analogy. Considering the difference in outcomes when humans try the trick, I can’t find a reason to doubt it

retail feeds are processed no matter what…they come in a box.

squid, clam, veggies from a store arent processed

if you want the best for your fish do, meal preps for them. Paul is a meal prepper for his super healthy long lived fish, it makes sense. Even though I have not asked, I bet Paul isn’t using selcon by the gallon.

high quality frozen feed doused with selcon is the same thing as a salad from Burger King lol with some flintstones vitamins on the side. If it came in a box, you are happy mealing your prized fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I’ve learned from Paul B’s posts on nutrition, fish will benefit more from using fresh food vs retail boxed feed + vitamins.

fast food vs clean eaters analogy. Considering the difference in outcomes when humans try the trick, I can’t find a reason to doubt it

retail feeds are processed no matter what…they come in a box.

squid, clam, veggies from a store arent processed

if you want the best for your fish do, meal preps for them. Paul is a meal prepper for his super healthy long lived fish, it makes sense. Even though I have not asked, I bet Paul isn’t using selcon by the gallon.

high quality frozen feed doused with selcon is the same thing as a salad from Burger King lol with some flintstones vitamins on the side. If it came in a box, you are happy mealing your prized fish.

Agree. That’s like us eating fortified white bread and taking a vitamin every day over eating fresh fruits, veggies, and lean meat.

A balanced diet will always be better then processed food. Professed is convenience food.

LRS would be a fantastic food that is fresh frozen and ready to go. LRS nano is smaller pieces for something like a fire fish.

I am even to the point of making homemade raw for my cats. This is a growing trend as more and more people give serious thought to nutrition for their pets.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 1000% would have changed diets for my little pekingnese / sp/ had I understood the gravity of diet. for sure I had been told of smart eating my whole life but as a fruity pebbles addict from the 80's I had no real frame of reference.

my little dog used to get skin irritations galore and though he was a nice snorting fella, that could be obesity and breathing problems too from literally eating mcdog quality food his entire life. not once did it dawn on my to prep for my dog. i thought my grandmother fixing boiled chicked for the chihuahua was a total waste, not the case.

she was right

add certain veggies to that and you have literal healing powers for dogs and cats and servals. all my dogs have been mcdogged, only seen in hindsight though.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back