Vodka vs vinegar vs nopox

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try switching from nopox and was going to try a vinegar/vodka mix (nopox equivalent). The more I think about it, I wonder why I should even include vinegar as it seems like vodka could be more effective at a smaller dose? Any people with knowledge on this would be helpful (why include vinegar)?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to try switching from nopox and was going to try a vinegar/vodka mix (nopox equivalent). The more I think about it, I wonder why I should even include vinegar as it seems like vodka could be more effective at a smaller dose? Any people with knowledge on this would be helpful (why include vinegar)?
My recommendation would be use one chemical. Then you will know which one is 'working' (at least in part). The best advice I ever received in reefing - is do one thing at a time. Hope this helps. PS - what are you trying to fix - its possible that neither vinegar nor vodka would help

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good piece of advice where- one thing at a time is the smartest thing you can ever do (.. well; with anything really, right?) :)

Are you battling algae, uglies or what's going on? :)

OP
OP
Joe's 220 Reef

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation would be use one chemical. Then you will know which one is 'working' (at least in part). The best advice I ever received in reefing - is do one thing at a time. Hope this helps. PS - what are you trying to fix - its possible that neither vinegar nor vodka would help
Just a nitrate reduction that nopox does a very nice job of doing. Just trying to save a few dollars.

OP
OP
Joe's 220 Reef

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good piece of advice where- one thing at a time is the smartest thing you can ever do (.. well; with anything really, right?) :)

Are you battling algae, uglies or what's going on? :)
Tank looks really good (essentially no algae but a couple tiny patches of bubble) but I dose about 30 Ml a day of nopox and my nitrates stay steady at around 15. Just trying to keep it the same.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the ration of vinegar and vodka that you dose instead of nopox? I have seen the chart for recommended amounts of vodka, but how much vinegar?

corey

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back