Volitan lionfish

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigTomo003
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BigTomo003

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 17, 2020
Messages
411
Reaction score
181
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I finally purchased my dream fish, the volitan. He's about 3/4 inches long and in a bare tank (just filter heater and light) I know they prefer hiding spots for during the day as they are nocturnal, but I've decided to go all out bare for ease of cleaning. Since yesterday afternoon he's just been perched on the filter. Is this normal? I know they aren't too active during the day but even last night he was still on the filter and moved a little.

He ate some frozen brineshrimp the day I got him, I tried to feed him yesterday but he wasn't interested.

I'm still very new to keeping lionfish so if anyone could help that would be great.



Also I plan on adding a large peice of dry or live rock as I'd like to add some hermits, snails and other cuc he's not gonna be interested in eating from my main reef. I eventually want to add a snowflake eel, any opinions on that?

What about a deresa clam? He's getting a bit big for my reef and I'm wondering if he would be okay with the lion.

Thanks.
 
Tank is fairly new. Assure it has adequate oxygen. When I had volitans , they were active during the day.
iffer lower light also, at least for now
 
The perching action is normal. Really small volitans can be difficult. Try feeding him some small live ghost shimp or live guppies. Once he feeds well a couple of times, every other day. Try some pe mysis, squirt small amount to allow to float into the water column, lions will usually not take food that is not moving. Cut up chunks of shrimp, scallop, salmon, to name a few. Use a clear rigid airline to make a feeding stick. Lions will need to be target fed either by feeding or dropping food in to move through the water column fir him to catch. If food hits the bottom and you havd his attention, you can you the feeding stick to flick the food up into the water column. Yes the clam will be fine with him as long as you provide caves for him to shelter from higher light.
 
I had this guy years ago. They're really cool fish once you get them eating. Remember to wear gloves when cleaning the tank. :)

HPIM0578.JPG
 
I had this guy years ago. They're really cool fish once you get them eating. Remember to wear gloves when cleaning the tank. :)

HPIM0578.JPG
Wow he's stunning.
 
The perching action is normal. Really small volitans can be difficult. Try feeding him some small live ghost shimp or live guppies. Once he feeds well a couple of times, every other day. Try some pe mysis, squirt small amount to allow to float into the water column, lions will usually not take food that is not moving. Cut up chunks of shrimp, scallop, salmon, to name a few. Use a clear rigid airline to make a feeding stick. Lions will need to be target fed either by feeding or dropping food in to move through the water column fir him to catch. If food hits the bottom and you havd his attention, you can you the feeding stick to flick the food up into the water column. Yes the clam will be fine with him as long as you provide caves for him to shelter from higher light.
Okay thanks. I'm going to buy a big bag of frozen shrimp out the supermarket today. Feeder fish are illegal in Scotland so I'm going to try him with some ghost shrimp or maybe a little guppy as you said.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new