Volitan lionfish

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I finally purchased my dream fish, the volitan. He's about 3/4 inches long and in a bare tank (just filter heater and light) I know they prefer hiding spots for during the day as they are nocturnal, but I've decided to go all out bare for ease of cleaning. Since yesterday afternoon he's just been perched on the filter. Is this normal? I know they aren't too active during the day but even last night he was still on the filter and moved a little.

He ate some frozen brineshrimp the day I got him, I tried to feed him yesterday but he wasn't interested.

I'm still very new to keeping lionfish so if anyone could help that would be great.

Also I plan on adding a large peice of dry or live rock as I'd like to add some hermits, snails and other cuc he's not gonna be interested in eating from my main reef. I eventually want to add a snowflake eel, any opinions on that?

What about a deresa clam? He's getting a bit big for my reef and I'm wondering if he would be okay with the lion.

Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank is fairly new. Assure it has adequate oxygen. When I had volitans , they were active during the day.
iffer lower light also, at least for now

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perching action is normal. Really small volitans can be difficult. Try feeding him some small live ghost shimp or live guppies. Once he feeds well a couple of times, every other day. Try some pe mysis, squirt small amount to allow to float into the water column, lions will usually not take food that is not moving. Cut up chunks of shrimp, scallop, salmon, to name a few. Use a clear rigid airline to make a feeding stick. Lions will need to be target fed either by feeding or dropping food in to move through the water column fir him to catch. If food hits the bottom and you havd his attention, you can you the feeding stick to flick the food up into the water column. Yes the clam will be fine with him as long as you provide caves for him to shelter from higher light.

dkeller22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this guy years ago. They're really cool fish once you get them eating. Remember to wear gloves when cleaning the tank. :)

HPIM0578.JPG

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perching action is normal. Really small volitans can be difficult. Try feeding him some small live ghost shimp or live guppies. Once he feeds well a couple of times, every other day. Try some pe mysis, squirt small amount to allow to float into the water column, lions will usually not take food that is not moving. Cut up chunks of shrimp, scallop, salmon, to name a few. Use a clear rigid airline to make a feeding stick. Lions will need to be target fed either by feeding or dropping food in to move through the water column fir him to catch. If food hits the bottom and you havd his attention, you can you the feeding stick to flick the food up into the water column. Yes the clam will be fine with him as long as you provide caves for him to shelter from higher light.
Okay thanks. I'm going to buy a big bag of frozen shrimp out the supermarket today. Feeder fish are illegal in Scotland so I'm going to try him with some ghost shrimp or maybe a little guppy as you said.

Back