Voltage in Sump!!

emessier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I go to work on my Skimmer and get zapped!! Seriously!! So I test with the volt meter 120 volts...... I do the normal routine of unplugging one thing at a time. No change. After 3 or 4 attempts of going thru each pump, heater and lights, with no change I unplug everything. Still 120 volts. So now I start unplugging things upstairs in the DT. No voltage there.. Still no change in the sump. :squigglemouth: Next,, call Chriskid!! LOL He suggested to start flipping breakers one at a time. so I start doing that. After 3 or 4 breakers I get a reading of 156 volts!! Going the wrong way for some reason... Finally after about 10 or 12 breakers I get a reading of 1.4 volts...:angel: now to find what I turned off. After testing all the outlets around the tanks I find that one of my MH lights on the DT was plugged into a power strip on a lonely outlet on its own breaker. So I plug the power strip into the GFCI outlet and the power strip sparks and starts to smoke.!!!! NICE!! About an hour and a half of testing but at least I found it....

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you found the problem. After you locate the source in question, let us know. I'm curious to find out myself. Do you have a grounding probe or anything? That might be a good idea next time. LOL. . . 120 volts packs a nice punch.

OP
OP
E

emessier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I believe it was the old wiring in the house. I have replace most of the wiring but this circuit got away form me. 120 volts is quite a surprise!! LOL
Glad to hear you found the problem. After you locate the source in question, let us know. I'm curious to find out myself. Do you have a grounding probe or anything? That might be a good idea next time. LOL. . . 120 volts packs a nice punch.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the old wiring of the house thing, but that doesn't explain how it got into your sump. That Halide had to be touching something on the tank to ground it there, it just doesn't jump into the tank from mid air. What did you find? Wiring ground on the tank somehow??

OP
OP
E

emessier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MH was plugged into the power strip that went bad. I also had powerheads plugged into the same power strip. All I can tell you is that when I turned this breaker off the voltage in the sump went down to almost nothing. I removed the power strip that was in use and plugged the lights and powerheads into different outlets...
I get the old wiring of the house thing, but that doesn't explain how it got into your sump. That Halide had to be touching something on the tank to ground it there, it just doesn't jump into the tank from mid air. What did you find? Wiring ground on the tank somehow??

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, your surge protector back flowed to the powerheads? WOW Thats just nuts.

chriskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right when you think "i got this reef thing" then ..................... bbbzzzzzzzzz!!!!!! lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back