Volunteering at the local pet store…but perhaps more?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I’ve read various threads here that have some form of reccomendation to volunteer at their LFS to meet local reefers, help them out, etc.

So I’ve worked for my LFS in the past, as a paid employee. Since then, the only employee who’s there since I left is the district manager. I’ve talked with the fish manager and he’s admitted he won’t get in coral because it’s too difficult for him.

Because of this, I’ve thought about approaching the district manager about volunteering to set up and maintain a coral tank.

The catch…
1. There’s some obvious investment required from the store…I’d want it ran with proper equipment and the store is known to be a little cheap
2. if I was to do this, I’d want to have the ability to order and price the coral accordingly. I could see this causing issue as I know their pricing methods (including mark up amounts on wholesale) and they don’t build in the ability to discount (price is firm) where I’d want to be able to be flexible
3. A continuance of number two, is just as a volunteer, I don’t think they’d go for that at all. However I don’t want to be an employee just for the sake of not having to deal with other things (this is a pet store not a fish focused store).
4. Hope that I could get discounts on coral for my personal tanks.

With the above said, is there anything else I should be looking out for? Am I just asking too much? How should I start or approach this with them? I don’t even know if they’d accept volunteer work but thinking might be a good way to get stuff locally and expand the local base. Am I completely over thinking this?

I’m thinking if I bring this up as a volunteer opportunity type thing, they’d be 50/50.

I think, maybe bring it up as space rental? Like I rent some floor space for the tank, put my own investment in it as far as tank and other supplies go, and then request the ability to order coral in, I pay, and then receive a commission? Idk

Anyone have any thoughts?

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the space rental proposition is the best approach, for you. Unsure what the store is going to want though, they're obviously in it for profit, whereas you seem to be in it for the community.

Why not do it by yourself in your home? Space and/or money constraints?

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More money constraints as far as cost of coral and I don’t have much of my own to offer yet. It seems most wholesalers want a store front or at least 3 references before wanting to sell

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Last edited:

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say leasing some space for your corals/equipment could totally work. Your business would be independent of the fish store, but you would have access to their customers, and they would have access to yours. It's a win-win as long as they are 1) independent and 2) willing to negotiate a good price (I would also suggest you ask for 3 months free lease, and sign a one year lease contract). This should give you time to make some money before you have to pay them rent. You could have coral sale open by appointment or limited specified hours if this will not be your full-time job.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you're going to do 100% of the labor and the Owner take 100% of the Sale...... pleeeeeease. Wow. Hope the Owner ain't that stupid

Sorta like saying you'd work for a Food Caterer for free, unmanaged and never eat a lil food on the side.... who you kiddin'?

No but he already said in his list of demands he was going to get discounts on coral. You are straight up talking about stealing. That isn't honest sir.

"Take 10% and walk out the back door UNDETECTED". Don't try to justify it dude. Just wrong...Pure and Simple.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP are you wanting to just be the person who sets up, stocks, and maintains the tanks? If you plan on being the person who sales the corals for the store that is a huge commitment of time for little to no gain, and sorry to say it but seems like a horrible deal for you. If you just rented floor space and paid a percent of sales to the store then that would be a better deal, but I would worry that some employee/customer at the store would do something stupid when I wasnt there to jeopardize my investment.

I'm sure it would be harder to get started but it seems like the only decent answer is to start your own home business like already mentioned.

Also, not to pry into your personal life but are you an adult to has to work a normal 9-5 job to make a living. That would effect how much spare time you have to run a coral selling operation. I know that between my job and family responsibilities there is no way I could do it if it took even close to full-time hours, unless it quickly got profitable enough that I could quit my normal job.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this would definitely be an impact on family time. I have a full time job Monday through Friday, and a part time job on weekends. My main thought is not really the sales aspect (let their employees do the sale) just to be able to get local coral as the nearest LFS with at least semi-healthy coral is about an hour or so drive

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea and well thought out only thing I would add is utilities depending on electricity and water costs in the area the LFS might not be able to justify the expense unless you can prove to them theres a large unexploited market in the area.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it is legal to volunteer for a private for profit company.

Don’t waste your time.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm not entirely sure you have the time to commit to this enterprise with both a full-time and a part-time job.

But then again I did crazy stuff when I was younger. Good luck?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back