Vortech MP40 power brick whine?

Entomophage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a brand new Vortech MP40wQD and there's a quite noticeable whine/squeal coming from the power brick. It gets louder the lower I have the power to the pump set.

Searching didn't bring back much in the way of others with similar experiences. Seems like all the discussion is around the wet/dry sides of the pump itself which, in my case, aren't the issue.

Anyone have experience with this? Could it be bad capacitors in the PSU?

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a brand new Vortech MP40wQD and there's a quite noticeable whine/squeal coming from the power brick. It gets louder the lower I have the power to the pump set.

Searching didn't bring back much in the way of others with similar experiences. Seems like all the discussion is around the wet/dry sides of the pump itself which, in my case, aren't the issue.

Anyone have experience with this? Could it be bad capacitors in the PSU?

I had the exact same thing with a MP40. Kicker was it is my first tank so I kind of thought the sound was normal, but then it started falling off. It wasn’t an alignment issue as I played with that quite a bit because that’s what I assumed. My LFS replaces it and instantly I knew it was bad out of the box. Can’t even hear it at all now. I kept checking to make sure it was on lol

OP
OP
Entomophage

Entomophage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anyone else finds this and has the same issue - I contacted EcoTech and the rep sent me a form to provide the info necessary to replace the power supply. Seems like they're on it for me!

skyhawkn5262y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new MP40 and it's doing exactly the same thing. It has a loud squeal at low speeds, gets quieter as the pump speed is increased, and goes away completely at about 2/3 power. Seems like they got a bad batch of power supplies.

I contaced Ecotech via their customer support request on their website.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back