VorTech Noise

  • Thread starter Thread starter HTFish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

HTFish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
61
Reaction score
21
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 MP40 VorTech QD pumps in my living room aquarium and only one of them - always the same one - constantly makes a clicking noise. It sort of sounds like a kid's bike after they clip a playing card to the tire spokes. The noise slows down and speeds up according with the speed of the program it's running.

Playing with the wet side position doesn't help. Swapping out wet side assemblies doesn't help.

Anyone know what could be causing this issue and what I might be able to do about it? It is annoying for an expensive, supposedly quiet pump.
 
The Vortechs are not completely silent. They do make a muffled clicking noise while in operation. Are you using the rubber spacer? YMMV, but i ditched mine (despite the legalese) and that made the pump operation a bit quieter.
 
Two of my three pumps *are* silent.

Yes, The aquarium’s glass is ½” thick, so I’m using the thin spacer on them. I’ll experiment with the spacers and update you here.
 
My MP10QD does the same, I usually have to reposition the dry side a bit to make it stop clicking. I also turned it 180 degrees and that helped a bit.

It's probably 7-8 years old now and has been dropped a few times. From my visit to the Top Shelf Aquatics aquaculture facility (where they admitted they drop the dry the sides all the time), I can tell you the sound can get a lot worse and just be glad you don't have an entire room with dozens of them all making that noise!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new