Vortech owners: Best mode for Z&P's (or other reef biotypes)

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I've been chatting a bit with Marvin offline, as we are both proud owners of Vortech pumps for our "nano" aquariums. We've been tossing around some thoughts on what the "best" of the Vortech programs may be for Z&Ps in particular (even though Marvin has sinned and gotten back into acans!) :tongue: Anyways, I figured those of us that do have Vortech may be willing to post their experiences with the different modes and what (& why) they feel a certain mode is best for their particular system. I know much of this may be specific to a particular system, but hey, it can't hurt to discuss it :). I will add my thoughts shortly if this thread seems to get some discussion juices flowing

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank if you dont mind me asking. I have a 34 gal cube which is 20x20x20 and am thinking about the mp20. Its all high end lps and i need to increase the flow a bit.

OP
OP
Paintguru

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank if you dont mind me asking. I have a 34 gal cube which is 20x20x20 and am thinking about the mp20. Its all high end lps and i need to increase the flow a bit.

22g Cadlights.....the main area is probably 24x12 or so (guessing....gee I should know this, but it is a new tank). I figured the MP20 would be the only powerhead I would need, and I was right. Nice diffuse flow over the tank. Again, the problem is that these guys have 4 built in modes (Lagoon, Reef Crest, Short Pulse, Long Pulse). One would think Lagoon would be best for Z&Ps, but it almost seems to put out more power then the Reef Crest mode. Hence, this thread :).

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my LPS seemed to enjoy the extra flow as well.... ever since the Vortech, my Aussie lords have looked amazing... :)

btw, my set up right now for the Vortech MP40 is on short pulse mode (dialed 1/4 high) and the pulses are between 1/4 and 1/2.. so far so good... since I added the filter pad, I had to increase the flow a little bit...

it doesn't help that my tank is currently going through a mini cycle and my z's and p's collection have suffered... most of my palys have closed up and started withering away... so I can't even tell if they're enjoying the extra flow... I'll keep you guys posted...

hope we get more discussion on this thread... :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back