Vote for the new chalice name

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - I think trying to use the pink ******* name as a way to make something else as popular is just well..........lame...

I don't mean that in a bad way. Just saying it in general. I have just seen it alot lately where some vendors will name something after another coral that was/is popular.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Applying a name to a coral only increases it's price and incites others to use that same name on similar looking corals to sell less vibrant looking corals for the same price. No vote from me.

Jeremy

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Applying a name to a coral only increases it's price and incites others to use that same name on similar looking corals to sell less vibrant looking corals for the same price. No vote from me.
+1... I vote for labeling all corals with Genus + Species... like they should be. They're scientifically classified for a reason, not just to be "reclassified" by hobbyists then thrown under a common name enveloping multiple families let alone Genus and Species like the word "chalice" - a chalice is a cup.

If you want to get fancy throw a color in front of the genus + species to help describe it...

JMHO... Rant over :wink:

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this whole name thing, the name jacks the price which in turn sucks. But the bad thing is as someone who has sold corals at a frag swap people dont want to buy your stuff if it doesnt have a cool name.. Which makes this really hard. I have a really cool pink milli with blue tips, it once had a cool name that I forgot. At the last frag swap someone asked me what it was and I said what it was "Pink milli with blue tips" and they lost interest right away?? But my red planet sold or "green based red tabling acro" LOL if I would call it that it would not sell?? I wish people were more like me and just thought if it looks cool buy it.

OP
OP
kass03

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. I like names because theres alot of similar corals and a name lets you know your getting the exact colored coral you want. That is if people don't lie and say it's a certain colored coral when it's not.
Alot of chalice look very different when fragged so it's nice to know if your getting the right one. Also when it has a name you can know in your mind what it looks like.
To me it's kinda like buying a dog. Their all dogs but if you want a certain breed it goes by a name.

I don't buy corals for their names. I buy them if I like them. I really don't think a name makes that big of a difference. If it's an ugly brown coral and has a cool name people still arent going to buy it.

I was just trying to tell everyone in our club to vote. I did'nt know it would get your undies in a bundle lol.

my 2 cents

kass

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kass dont get me wrong I am one of those people thats usually goes either way... I can see how it can be useful for like zoas and chalice's cause a small frag usually looks nothing like the mother colony. but i am an sps guy thats why i dont like the name thing. throw ora or tyree on an sps coral and the price jumps even if it is just a common coral.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for you Kass because I like the coloring and I would like a frag if you win and you grow it out! :p

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back