Wait on trident or get a Alkatronic

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been patiently waiting for this thing they are referring to as a “Neptune’s trident”. Maybe you’ve heard of it... Still not sure if it’s just a joke on Neptune’s part. Maybe it’ll be like the Apple Air Power.

What it boils down to is should I splurge on buying a Alkatronic or continue waiting on the ever elusive trident?!

I only see good things from the Alkatronic side. Makes me question if I want to deal with the hiccups that the trident will have when it is released.

Any input is appreciated.

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My beard may need to be trimmed several more times before they release that thing !
I have the apex classic, so Neptune took my money and left me behind since I can’t get one without buying the latest and greatest !:mad::mad::mad:

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I pondered when the Alkatronic first came out. Actually before, since I pre-ordered mine in 2017.
I thought that I could just get the Alkatronic, and use it until Trident came out. Then sell one and keep the one I liked most.
Fast forward like 18 months!!:eek: And I'm glad I decided to not wait around for Neptune. I'm sure it will be cool, but I look at it as lost time for stability and growth.
I say go for it and buy the Alkatronic, I love mine.

It's pretty cool to be able to track trends, especially with anything that has to do with stability!;):)
upload_2019-4-10_18-9-29.png

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at Reefapalooza and The Neptune guy told me the Triton would be out in a month or so at a price point below $800. Maybe he said $600. I can’t recall but it’s way cheaper than I anticipated. He promised it was coming very soon. They had one sitting out.

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I pondered when the Alkatronic first came out. Actually before, since I pre-ordered mine in 2017.
I thought that I could just get the Alkatronic, and use it until Trident came out. Then sell one and keep the one I liked most.
Fast forward like 18 months!!:eek: And I'm glad I decided to not wait around for Neptune. I'm sure it will be cool, but I look at it as lost time for stability and growth.
I say go for it and buy the Alkatronic, I love mine.

It's pretty cool to be able to track trends, especially with anything that has to do with stability!;):)
upload_2019-4-10_18-9-29.png

what negatives have you experienced??

I was at Reefapalooza and The Neptune guy told me the Triton would be out in a month or so at a price point below $800. Maybe he said $600. I can’t recall but it’s way cheaper than I anticipated. He promised it was coming very soon. They had one sitting out.

i played with it on my way out of RAP. i just feel like "soon" is all ive heard for 2 years

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i played with it on my way out of RAP. i just feel like "soon" is all ive heard for 2 years
Come on its “really” soon now, lol.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had a few issues:
The wifi is quirky like others have said, but nothing that can't be overcome.
There was a line on one dosing pump that kept coming off - easy fix with new tiny zip tie
I had a random micro piece of plastic lodged in the reagent line that was messing with results - also easy fix.
I had 1 pump fail already - the replacement wasn't too bad, like $70 if I remember right.
That's about it, and considering that I got one of the first units in the US, and have tested 6 times a day for the entire time, it's really a stable platform.
I'm very happy with it, and have no regrets buying it.

I also hacked the reagent - and have been using DIY for 12 months with no issues. So running costs are pretty low for me.;)

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on if you find Ca and Mg control in addition to Alk important. If so wait on the Trident. If just Alk is important to you the go with the Alkatronic. I think the Trident is a cool piece of equipment, but I'm going to wait a while to see what issues people have with it.

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you already have an Apex? If not, that's another $500 to get one to run the eventual trident. Then you need something to dose the elements if your tests come back as needing correction. DOS pumps are another $450. You might want to think about startup costs and long-term costs before deciding.

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we're testing the Trident in beta right now.
Mine's currently testing 12 times a day and controlling dosing for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium.
So there's that. :)

Ahh so you are one of the lucky few! What bugs have you run into if any?

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do have an apex but Ive only ever tested alk so there is that but know the other 2 wouldn’t hurt.

zzl630

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few issues:
There was a line on one dosing pump that kept coming off - easy fix with new tiny zip tie
I had a random micro piece of plastic lodged in the reagent line that was messing with results - also easy fix.
I had 1 pump fail already - the replacement wasn't too bad, like $70 if I remember right.
That's about it, and considering that I got one of the first units in the US, and have tested 6 times a day for the entire time, it's really a stable platform.

I also hacked the reagent - and have been using DIY for 12 months with no issues. So running costs are pretty low for me.;)

What’s the recipe for the diy reagent?:)

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last Terrance video showed a few racks of trident and said its imminent as opposed to soon...sub 600 per RAP.i bought the new apex discounted at the show,waiting to set them up together

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we're testing the Trident in beta right now.
Mine's currently testing 12 times a day and controlling dosing for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium.
So there's that. :)

What's the monthly cost of reagent for 12 tests per day?

I have an Apex and 2 DOS, but didn't want to wait on the Trident and got an Alkatronic. Aside from getting frustrated with setup using an android, it's been trouble free!

prhoades2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few issues:

Please share your reagent recipe...

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been very happy with the alkatronic. I have never had any issues and if you keep the pH probe and pumps calibrated it's about the most accurate way to determine alk we have. I also like the waste can be returned to the tank as I don't personally want anything else to clean out. I also have AWC system so I don't care about testing calcium and mag often.

That being said I am sure the trident will be nice, just the alkatronic fits my needs and has run well with no issues.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back