Wait on trident or get a Alkatronic

sergebmw2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was reading online that it will connect via Link1. So does that mean I can run it on my classic version of apex ? Or do I have to buy the wifi version of the apex ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was reading online that it will connect via Link1. So does that mean I can run it on my classic version of apex ? Or do I have to buy the wifi version of the apex ?
It doesnt work with the classic apex

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got sick of waiting and purchased an Alkatronic about 4 months ago. I absolutely love it. It keeps my Alk rock solid, and I use it to control my DaStaCo CA reactor. I couldn't be happier with mine. Trident may be great if it ever comes out, but Alkatronic is already great, and is out...

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat @SneakyTortuga ---i only found this thread because I was looking for more info on the Alkatronic. Ideally, for ease of use with my current system and also testing the mag and CA--- I want the Trident but the wait has been difficult to hold off a purchase on the Alkatronic. Personally, I am pulling the trigger within the next few days if I dont hear anything new on Trident. I NEED something to help me monitor my alk and control my DaStaCo reactor as it is oversized for my tank and can drop my PH drastically if left on too long. Needless to say I have been patient with the Trident but I really would like to make an informed decision. Even if they were to say realistically it will be another month--- I can make an informed decision for myself. I really dont want to grab the alkatronic and then the Trident come out the next day. My game plan is to wait probably another week and if dont hear anything then I will go with Alkatronic.

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Case and point for me!

upload_2019-4-11_9-14-50.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Case and point for me!

upload_2019-4-11_9-14-50.png
Interesting - what are the blue dots with lines going up between 1400 and 1600 - what is the hatched box between 2030 a nd 2230? What caused the drop? Why was it not corrected? Why was it constantly rising between about 930 and 2000? (FWIW - I dont know the margin of error of this instrument - but I'm assuming the changes are 'significant' to the machine

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - what are the blue dots with lines going up between 1400 and 1600 - what is the hatched box between 2030 a nd 2230? What caused the drop? Why was it not corrected? Why was it constantly rising between about 930 and 2000? (FWIW - I dont know the margin of error of this instrument - but I'm assuming the changes are 'significant' to the machine
I probably should have clarified further... The Blue shaded periods indicts when my Calcium Reactor is running--- I do this because my reactor is oversized for my tank and can have a large impact if left on... Had I had some sort of Alk monitor to allow me to running it based off of consistent test (either a Alkatronic or Trident) I feel the stability would be much better. I typically have it on "auto" per my Apex but I turned it "on" because my alk tested lower than the previous day. This is in part a user error but some sort of Alk monitoring would have prevented me from having it in the "on" position to make up my lower alk and in turn dropping my PH.

No one to blame but myself but had I had an Alk monitor of some sort - I could have programmed to it to produce more consistent levels, while also not "Shooting in the dark" to raise my alk back up by leaving my reactor on too long. I have since made an adjustment to have PH report anytime it is lower than 8.05 moving forward but feel that if the Alk would have been monitored to some degree my mistake could have been avoided entirely.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I probably should have clarified further... The Blue shaded periods indicts when my Calcium Reactor is running--- I do this because my reactor is oversized for my tank and can have a large impact if left on... Had I had some sort of Alk monitor to allow me to running it based off of consistent test (either a Alkatronic or Trident) I feel the stability would be much better. I typically have it on "auto" per my Apex but I turned it "on" because my alk tested lower than the previous day. This is in part a user error but some sort of Alk monitoring would have prevented me from having it in the "on" position to make up my lower alk and in turn dropping my PH.

No one to blame but myself but had I had an Alk monitor of some sort - I could have programmed to it to produce more consistent levels, while also not "Shooting in the dark" to raise my alk back up by leaving my reactor on too long. I have since made an adjustment to have PH report anytime it is lower than 8.05 moving forward but feel that if the Alk would have been monitored to some degree my mistake could have been avoided entirely.
OH sorry - I didn't pay attention - I thought that was an alkalinity graph (i.e. that you were using an alkatronic).

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH sorry - I didn't pay attention - I thought that was an alkalinity graph (i.e. that you were using an alkatronic).
No worries! trying to figure out if I need to get one or keep waiting for an announcement... I need a solution soon before I make a mistake that i cant bounce back from.

Porkchopz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last live stream Terrance seemed pretty believable that it is actually going to be released soon.

I took from what he said to be "within a month". I'm waiting... But yeah, come on already!

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote wait for the Trident. For the simple assumption that they will have substantially more support and resources to help guide customers through troubleshooting or repairs when needed.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote wait for the Trident. For the simple assumption that they will have substantially more support and resources to help guide customers through troubleshooting or repairs when needed.
Jonas at Alkatronic is fantastic with support. I had a quick question for him, messaged him on the FB Alkatronic site, and he responded within minutes. Support is not an issue with Alkatronic.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jonas at Alkatronic is fantastic with support. I had a quick question for him, messaged him on the FB Alkatronic site, and he responded within minutes. Support is not an issue with Alkatronic.
You said it yourself. You had only a "quick question." Eric was also very responsive btw.

But when it comes down to diagnosing more complex issues with the unit (which is expected with first iterations of new products understandably), they fell short imo.

I spent (and have) 5+ days worth of fb messages and emails of proof that I tried everything they asked to diagnose it. I shipped my unit back once and it was supposedly repaired. Then other issues popped up once returned, so they requested me to ship it back.

A bigger shop with more resources would just ship me a new one with a return package for the older one. I'm over it already, but it was a PITA.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have faith in Trident as i do Apex. Will be interesting to see feedback and usage results. I’ll wait as its not worse than Vertex and the Cerebra controller.
ANY WORD AT REEFOLOOZA on the cerebra?

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem I see is even when it’s released, what’s the back order going to look like. I doubt they have enough build to begin filling all the orders.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to upgrade my Apex to get this. I value stability, yes, so not going to upgrade something that works so well for me. I do not agree with the decision to only support the latest hardware, sending a number to a controller does not require orange plastic.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said it yourself. You had only a "quick question." Eric was also very responsive btw.

But when it comes down to diagnosing more complex issues with the unit (which is expected with first iterations of new products understandably), they fell short imo.

I spent (and have) 5+ days worth of fb messages and emails of proof that I tried everything they asked to diagnose it. I shipped my unit back once and it was supposedly repaired. Then other issues popped up once returned, so they requested me to ship it back.

A bigger shop with more resources would just ship me a new one with a return package for the older one. I'm over it already, but it was a PITA.

That does sound like a nightmare, so I definitely understand your position.

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have the alkatronic now running for a couple of months. I will say that they just released the dosatronic which uses an algorithm and doses 5 other(calc,mag,and any other 3 elements you desire, I believe, I know it doses 5) elements. The alkatronic kicks butt once its setup and dialed in. I'm seeing growth I've never seen in torches I have had for 3 years. Just last night I noticed 3 heads on my Dragon soul colony, I knew were either just started to split or split a week or two ago. They are now splitting a third way. That particular indo Rainbow/ds torch is mature and its heads are all easily bigger than a quarter almost a 50 cent piece size. It takes quite a while for one head to split let alone split into 3 heads. I'm seeing on average at least 1 new head splitting every week if not more. This is due to 2 things. I'm using an 8 bulb T5s fixture and the alkatronic. Hands down will pay for itself in less than 6 months if you frag a little. If you frag a lot you can put one on every tank paid for in coral frags grown plus buy the dosatronic with the extra money as well. I would regret waiting and I actually like Neptune and have all 3 of the brains which the alkatronic works with,and almost everything else they sell. Not hating on Neptune, just using what's available now and I know works!! You can wait or get alkatronic now and buy it with coral cash sale money when its finally released Q3/Q4 or whenever they finally get it done.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the trident in person a couple weeks ago at Aquashella. I was told the same thing as many here, which was "soon." It is large and sexy, but i am not an Apex guy so I wont be getting one. I was told by the rep and the retailer there that this thing is out of R&D and on to final testing... so hopefully yall get to chose soon.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back